× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS908E I can access when I connect via cable but can not even ping from a wireless connection

GS908E I can access when I connect via cable but can not even ping from a wireless connection

Firmware is the latest version 1.7.0.3  I have also factory reset multiple times and have no problems accessing the device via direct cable and have no issues accessing the internet through this device via cable.  I am unable to access it via wifi though, not even after scanning the serial number and mac address to set it up via the phone app.  The phone app says limited support and then doesnt connect. Please can anyone help, very frustrating.

Message 1 of 8

Re: GS908E I can access when I connect via cable but can not even ping from a wireless connection

My network setup is a Virgin modem providing internet to a TPLink router using 192.168.1.1 which also acts as a dhcp server for the range of 192.168.1.100-254.  The Netgear GS908E receives the internet connection from the router via a cable plugged into port 1.  I have connected my laptop to the GS908E via cable plugged into port 8 and I can easily connect to the switch using 192.168.1.170.  My laptop IP address on the cable is 192.168.1.10 and when I switch my laptop to wifi with the ip address of 192.168.1.100 it can no longer see the switch.

Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Access Control in place on the GS908E limiting to a certain LAN IP or small subnet? Or something completely oddly broken on your WiFi router....

GS908E Access Control.PNG

Message 3 of 8

Hi,

I have tried adding my network range to the access control using

192.168.1.1-254  255.255.255.0

but it didnt accept the IP address. Would I need to add all ip addresses manually?

Message 4 of 8

Even using the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool, I can see the device but not connect to it.

Netgear Switch Issue.png

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

The idea was just to check and remove if there is an access control on the list. 

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@SpencerChristop wrote:

Even using the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool, I can see the device but not connect to it.

As the name says, it's a discovery tool for the switch LAN IP, and its calling the default system Web browser, nothing magic if the Web browser can't reach the switch over the Wi-Fi but OK on a LAN connection.

If you can discover and connect from a different connection - when I understand right from a wired LAN port - but not from the wireless device for whatever reason, it's very likely because there is a local network issue. As the discovery works, we know it's in the same Ethernet broadcast domain from both scopes. 

Any fancy filtering or security like firewall rules in place on the TP Link router? There is the cause very likely..

Message 7 of 8

I couldnt find any settings which controlled or regulated the data on the router, but for some reason, when I switched some ports around, it seems to be working now.  Thanks for all your help 🙂

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements