× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GSS108E firmware upgrade timeout - no solution using arp

shotokan
Aspirant

GSS108E firmware upgrade timeout - no solution using arp

Hi there,

already digged through the community and found some hints but neither worked.

After trying to update the firmware from 1.0.0.0 to 1.0.0.1 (after 30% a TFTP timeout occured), the switch doesn't respond anymore. I tried to restart several times but no way. I'm using the current version of the utility 2.3.5 on Windows 10 x64 and it finds the switch but the update now always fails after 30 seconds of preparation. I tried the suggested arp commands but that didn't work either. Also using the netsh command on Windows didn't help.

Are there any other solutions? I also tried to connect directly separated from the complete network but also no success. Any help would be welcome to avoid sending the switch back.

Thank you and best rehards,

shotokan

Model: GSS108E|ProSafe 8 ports gigabits Click switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
SM3NSE
Initiate

Re: GSS108E firmware upgrade timeout - no solution using arp

I had the same problem. Finally solved it.

Open a command prompt as administrator.

Run:

netsh interface ipv4 add neighbors "Ethernet" 192.168.0.3 a0-63-91-89-1f-da

Replace "Ethernet" with the name of your windows 10 network connection, 192.168.0.3 with the ipaddress of your GSS108E and a0-63-91-89-1f-da with the MAC-address of your GSS108E.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Lage

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello shotokan, 

Welcome to the community! 

Try initiating a factory default by pushing the reset button on the back part of the switch. Try to go through again using the arp command mentioned on the other post. Make sure all firewalls and anti-virus softwares are temporarily disabled on the computer. 

Let us know what happens. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 7
SM3NSE
Initiate

I had the same problem. Finally solved it.

Open a command prompt as administrator.

Run:

netsh interface ipv4 add neighbors "Ethernet" 192.168.0.3 a0-63-91-89-1f-da

Replace "Ethernet" with the name of your windows 10 network connection, 192.168.0.3 with the ipaddress of your GSS108E and a0-63-91-89-1f-da with the MAC-address of your GSS108E.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Lage

Message 3 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SM3NSE, 

Welcome to the community and thanks for the contribution! I hope  @shotokan can try your suggestion. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 7
shotokan
Aspirant

Hi all,

thank you for the fast responses. Indeed it was the netsh command that helped. Now the firmware was updated and the switch is responsive again.

Best regards,

shotokan

Message 5 of 7
JohnRoe
Initiate

GSS108E ProSAFE  Firmware update Timeout issue (not resolved)

Shipped version 1.0.0.0 update to 1.0.0.1

Ok, so I've seen many posts in this forum about how this is solved, it is not solved.  All the "solutions" are only a part.  Spell it out and put it in one place.  Hint: post it as part of the notes for the new firmware upgrade.

NetGear Techs, some friendly recommendations:

1.  If your software is broken, please work on fixing it.

2. Work around solutions should have step by step directions (please see my 20 min summary of wasting a weekend figuring out the disjointed comments here (see below).  Please feel free to use, update, correct, expand my comments.  they may not be 100%.  

3.  Post the work around steps for Windows, Linux, and MAC in a nice printable text doc so folks can print them out.

1. Firmware update – Credit to NetGear Forums for most of the parts, summary missing.
    1. Download latest ProSAFE and firmware for GSS108E to PC/Laptop
      1. Unzip both
      2. Install ProSAFE
    2. Connect directly to the switch from PC or laptop. No Router or other Switch between.
      1. Hard set PC / Laptop to IP in set subnet as switch.
      2. Switch default IP 192.168.0.239 if you have not changed it or connected to a DHCP server (home network router). Default IP assumed for examples.
    3. Run ProSAFE
      1. Refresh to find switch, verify it is in the same IP subnet as PC.
      2. Follow prompt for firmware update.
    4. If this fails, typcail timeput around 40% to 50% during upload:
      1. Download or get a command line tftp server.
        1. Linux: from command prompt (CentOS example)
          1. Su root
          2. yum install tftp
        2. Open up Command Prompt in admin mode for window or su root for Linux.
  • Add switch IP and MAC to arp table (as reported from ProSAFE or look at the box for the MAC)
    1. Add fixed arp entry to arp table
      1. arp –s 192.168.0.239 xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
    2. Note syntax if different for Linux and Windows for how the MAC address is entered. Windows 10 wants dashes.  Linux can be “:” or not separator depending on distribution, check help arp –h.
  1. Windows: Retry ProsSAFE. Failed for me
  2. Linux Command Line tftp: Push firmware to switch, Linux CentOS example
    1. tftf –v –m binary 192.168.0.239 –c put /home/user/Downloads/GSS108E_V1.0.0.1/GSS108E_V1.0.0.1.bin
    2. Note the –m binary transfer mode is required.
  3. Power cycle switch.
    1. If it still does not respond to ping or web admin try Reset to default and power cycle.

I had no luck with the ProSAFE or GUI based tftp server/client, I had to go command line.  

Model: GSS108E|ProSafe 8 ports gigabits Click switch
Message 6 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JohnRoe,

Welcome to the community! 🙂   

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and for the detailed steps you have posted.  This will be a good reference guide. 🙂

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements