× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GSS116E: Unable to upgrade Bootloader

theccap10
Follower

GSS116E: Unable to upgrade Bootloader

I have successfully updated the firmware on my GSS116E to the latest version (1.6.1.7) but i am unable to upgrade the bootloader to the latest version (1.0.0.5).

When I login via the web UI I am not prompted to update it.

If I try to access the direct web link i.e. http://x.x.x.x/loader_upg.htm I get the following error:

x.x.x.x didn’t send any data.

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE
My first question is do I need to update the bootloader to version 1.0.0.5?
If so, How can I do it if I am not prompted via webui and the direct link does not work?
Appreciate any guidance 
Thank You.
Model: GSS116E|ProSafe 16 ports gigabits Click switch
Message 1 of 3
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GSS116E: Unable to upgrade Bootloader

Hi theccap10,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

You may need to use firmware 1.0.0.6 first then to the next firmware which is 1.6.0.3 before going to 1.6.1.7 so that the bootloader for the 1.6.x.x version will be used.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
cheesemonkey
Tutor

Re: GSS116E: Unable to upgrade Bootloader

theccap10,

I'm in the same boat as you.  Today I spent about two (2) hours with a Netgear technician via Chat, doing what I could to get on to v1.6.1.7 without bricking my GSS116E.  Two (2) previous GSS116E switches got bricked from botched firmware upgrades, back in the 2019/2020 days.  The first bricking was done by me, but by no fault of my own.  RMA #1.  The second bricking, I had explicit handholding from a Netgear technician = same difference, BRICKED!  RMA #2.  So I am on my 3rd GSS116E, and don't want a 4th!  On my current 3rd GSS116E, back when I received it (received with non-current firmware...  sigh...), I got handholding a second time from a Netgear technician = through careful updating, to an intermediate firmware version first (or maybe it was two intermediate versions?  can't remember...), I got to a point where my GSS116E had firmware v1.6.1.3, but bootloader v1.0.0.2.  My GSS116E switch stayed in this state (v1.0.0.2 and v1.6.1.3) since then, until today...

Apparently, this "stuck at bootloader v1.0.0.2" isn't supposed to happen, and maybe isn't harmful??? - but there are at least two of us (me and you...) that are stuck in this GSS116E bootloader twilight zone.  So today, with the explicit guidance of the Netgear technician via Chat, after his researching and hhhhmmm-ing and haaaaa-ing, lots of me waiting, etc. - when there was nothing I could do to get to/force a bootloader update prompt/screen - I was told to update to v1.6.1.7 via the web interface (using Chrome).  The update worked = I now have v1.6.1.7 running, but my bootloader still shows v1.0.0.2.  When trying to go to http://x.x.x.x/loader_upg.htm while running v1.6.1.7, I see the wonderful ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE stuff - which I also saw when I tried to get to http://x.x.x.x/loader_upg.htm when I was running v1.6.1.3.  So, this is where it stays for now, v1.0.0.2 and v1.6.1.7.

Maybe someday all of the bugs will be out of the GSS116E...

cheesemonkey

Model: GSS116E|ProSafe 16 ports gigabits Click switch
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements