× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GSS116E unable to update firmware either directly using current ProSafe Plus Utility or web b...

degruba
Follower

GSS116E unable to update firmware either directly using current ProSafe Plus Utility or web browser

Unable to update GSS116E with new firmware file using ProSafe Utility 2.7.8 or by logging in with web browser ( FireFox or IE).

The firmware file 1.6.0.5 that was posted now has a dead link.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059135/GSS116E-Firmware-Version-1-6-0-5

Since this is EOL hardware, what is planned to restore the file and allow me to update one of my switches that has a much older firmware ?

thanks.

Model: GSS116E|ProSafe 16 ports gigabits Click switch
Message 1 of 22
tekonsite
Apprentice

Re: GSS116E unable to update firmware either directly using current ProSafe Plus Utility or web brow

Did you ever get some sort of response or solution for this?

Message 2 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Re: GSS116E unable to update firmware either directly using current ProSafe Plus Utility or web brow

@degruba wrote:

Unable to update GSS116E with new firmware file using ProSafe Utility 2.7.8 or by logging in with web browser ( FireFox or IE). The firmware file 1.6.0.5 that was posted now has a dead link.

Newer downloads were disabled because there were to many users having issues, factors were the requirement to update the bootloader requirement along with an earlier release, and customers ending with inop devices. Netgear must streamline the process and enhance. Some traces of the discussion were here and on earlier threads in the community.

@degruba wrote:

Since this is EOL hardware, ...

Not sure from where this information is coming from. The GS116E is still sold, and can be ordered in the distribution channel with the order numbers listed on the GSS108E, GSS108EPP, GSS116E Data Sheet 

These just these order numbers show up in the EoL list:

Switches GSS108E GSS108E-100AJS 6/4/2018
Switches GSS108E GSS108E-100PRS 3/30/2018
Switches GSS116E GSS116E-100AJS 3/1/2018
Switches GSS116E GSS116E-100PRS 12/30/2016

AJS was a combined packaging for Australia and Japanese/Pacific market, this was split into JPS and AUS,
PRS is the mainland China version - no idea what was changed there. Probably to expensive. Probably re-introduced later again.

The switch itself it's the same hardware for all markets anyway. 

@degruba wrote:

... my switches that has a much older firmware ?

This is exactly where the problem starts. Devices are still coming with 1.0 from the channel or stock. And this can't be updated straight away to the 1.6.0.x including 1.6.0.5 as par the common update methods.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 3 of 22
tekonsite
Apprentice

So how can I get my switch up to date? Do I need to call support? Does anyone have the firmware to download and a written process to apply it even if it is a multiple step process?
Message 4 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@tekonsite wrote:
So how can I get my switch up to date?

Stand-by until new firmware and a new update process is becoming available.

@tekonsite wrote:
Do I need to call support?

Of course, you can open a support ticket. Unlikely to get a different information.

@tekonsite wrote:
Does anyone have the firmware to download and a written process to apply it even if it is a multiple step process?

For a reason, any firmware release - current and all previous ones - including the release notes and the the mandatory bootloader update for this model have been revoked. Are you keen to end with a dead device, with a no longer manageable device?

Message 5 of 22
ua
Aspirant
Aspirant

Adding myself to the thread so that I get notified if there is a firmware update posted

I'm hoping the ability to define a management VLAN is added

Message 6 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@ua wrote:

I'm hoping the ability to define a management VLAN is added

The limitation is with the embedded controller which is attached to all switch traffic (required for various functionality reasons), it's not a management processor on a VLAN. 

Message 7 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Received information in the back channel that a solution for updating the GSS116E is in the works but requires more time.

Message 8 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GSS116E unable to update firmware either directly using current ProSafe Plus Utility or web b...

@ua / @degruba / @tekonsite / @schumaku,

GSS116E firmware v1.6.1.4  has been officially released.  Kindly download and make sure to follow the Firmware Update Instructions indicated on its release notes here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@DaneA  Trouble is Netgear does point at various parts to the obsolete, End-of-life, no longer supported, .... ProSafe Plus Configuration Utility which badly fails on people using current networking tools like Wireshark and the ubiquitous _current_ libpacp implementation of Npcap - which makes WinPcap obsolete as well ... Needless to say, even with Npcap installed in compatibility mode, we can't get the ProSafe Plus Configuration Utility work.

Last but not least, Netgear does leave alone all the MacOS- and Linux-only users - of course, too.

NSDP dead end with Npcap.PNG

Message 10 of 22
ua
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the update.

I'm on V1.0.0.2 and the instructions say I should update to V1.0.0.5 first.

Where do I find this version?

Also, can I do the bootloader upgrade from a browser or do I have to use the utility?

Message 11 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@ua wrote:

I'm on V1.0.0.2 and the instructions say I should update to V1.0.0.5 first. Where do I find this version?

They talk of the bootloader v1.0.0.5 ... however, it's not part of the v1.6.1.4 firmware image ZIP download (this link show up when confirming the "I understand the instructions provided and will upgrade accordingly. I am ready to download the firmware.") and for the historical update issues, older downloads are not available.

Some digging unveils the v1.0.0.5 download ...

===

Upgrade your GSS116E to firmware version V1.0.0.5 and then, afterward, use the web GUI to upgrade the new bootloader to version v1.0.0.5.

1. Download the new firmware 1.0.0.5 (GSS116E V1.0.0.5.zip) from the NETGEAR product support Website and save it on your local PC. Unzip it to the file to extract the switch firmware image “GSS116E_V1.0.0.5.bin” and bootloader image “GSS116E_LOADER_V1.0.0.5.bin”.

Download Link:http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GSS116E/GSS116E V1.0.0.5.zip

====

However the mentioned GSS116E_LOADER_V1.0.0.5.bin isn't part of this archive, too.

@DaneA please.

Message 12 of 22
ua
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the link!

So first update the V1.0.0.5 firmware from the GUI, then the V1.0.0.5 bootloader, then the v1.6.1.4 firmware and no need to use the Prosafe Utility? (The Utility only allows me to change the IP address of the switch)

Curiously, the release notes don't say what the latest firmware has to offer but only some (apparently incomplete) instructions on how to do the update!

Message 13 of 22
schumaku
Guru

No! Strictly follow the new process as published. As I mentioned, the vootloader file isbt available as part of the referred dowbload link. Standby for the official 1 0 0.5 bootloader image please!

I don't want to be made responsible for any bricked GSS116E switches please, too!!!
Message 14 of 22
ua
Aspirant
Aspirant

To prepare for this upgrade, I connected my Windows 10 laptop directly to the switch, turned off Windows Defender and fired up Prosafe Utility 2.7.8. It can see the switch but the System sub-menu is still grayed out.

I then did a web search and came across a posting that said you had to select the switch and then click on Apply to see the tabs/menus. I tried it and it worked! It even works if Windows Defender is enabled.

Hope this helps someone.

Message 15 of 22
ua
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found a .zip file online that has a V1.0.0.5 bootloader in it but don't know how to authenticate it. It also has the operational firmware file which is identical to the one linked in this thread.

Message 16 of 22
ua
Aspirant
Aspirant

Pinging @DaneA 

Message 17 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ua,

We apologize for the inconvenience.  The higher tier of NETGEAR Support are already aware of the issue since last week and working on it to include the v1.0.0.5 bootloader with the GSS16E firmware v1.6.1.4 as a fix.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 18 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ua,

Just an update.  I'm glad to let you know that bootloader v1.0.0.5 is now included with the GSS116E firmware v1.6.1.4 when you download it.

Kindly download the GSS116E firmware v1.6.1.4 here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 19 of 22
ua
Aspirant
Aspirant

@DaneA 

My firmware and loader are both v1.0.0.2 and the upgrade instructions don't seem to explicitly cover this combination.

Should I go ahead and use these instructions any way?

If the loader version is V1.0.0.0, type: http://x.x.x.x/loader_upg.htm.
Where x.x.x.x represents your GSS116E’s IP address.  
Example: http://192.168.0.239/loader_upg.htm
Update the boot loader to V1.0.0.5.  
GSS116E reboots automatically when done

Thanks

Message 20 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ua

Kindly update the bootloader first to v1.0.0.5. Then afterwards, update the firmware to the latest version. 

Let us know the results. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 21 of 22
ua
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bootloader upgrade using GUI followed by firmware upgrade using Prosafe Utility worked!

Now to see what improvements were made Smiley Happy

Thanks

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements