× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Green Ethernet - Short Cable Mode/Short Reach Admin Mode (fw v5.4.2.18)

Squirre1
Aspirant

Green Ethernet - Short Cable Mode/Short Reach Admin Mode (fw v5.4.2.18)

I am working on a GS748Tv4H2 and I am enabling some of the Green Ethernet features, more specifically the Short Cable Mode... Even though I enable it, it never appears to truly enable. And if it DOES enable it is not properly reflected in the interface.

On "Green Ethernet Configuration" Short Cable Mode shows enabled. If I go into "Green Ethernet Interface Configuration" and I try to enable Short Cable mode on the interfaces and then select "apply", it stays as disabled. If I goto monitoring and logs, I can see in the memory logs an entry where it says it is enabling short reach mode:

<14> Sep 14 08:31:42 192.168.25.254-1 GREEN[2191381396]: green.c(1439) 3 %% Short Reach Mode Enabled on 0/2 

But if you go back to "Green Ethernet Interface Configuration" or "Green Ethernet Detail", they will say Disabled and Disabled, Op Status: Inactive, reason: admin down, respectively...

Am I missing something here, is this a known issue, from what I can tell its supported...

Thanks...

Model: GS748Tv4|Netgear 48 ports Smart Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Squirre1
Aspirant

Re: Green Ethernet - Short Cable Mode/Short Reach Admin Mode (fw v5.4.2.18)

From the Manual:

The switch performs a cable test on each cable connect to its ports. If the cable is less than 10m in length, the port is placed in low power mode (nominal power). Short cable mode and EEE mode cannot be enabled on the same port simultaneously.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Squirre1
Aspirant

*UPDATE* I noticed with EEE Admin Mode off, you can see Short Reach is enabled. If you turn on EEE Admin Mode, It switches all the configured ports for Short Reach Admin Mode to Disabled in Green Ethernet Interface Configuration. So not sure if it is just a matter of overlapping functionality and how it displays... I would think the Short Cable and EEE settings are different with one being based on distance and the other being based on usage respectively..

Thanks..

Message 2 of 4
Squirre1
Aspirant

In closing I would like to hear from Netgear if the Short Cable mode is supported to function simulatiously with EEE Mode..?  Whenever I enable EEE mode on a port, I am not able to see the status of "Short Cable Mode", inversely, in order to see Short Cable Mode on a port, I have to disbale EEE Mode for that corresponding port..

Thanks...

Message 3 of 4
Squirre1
Aspirant

From the Manual:

The switch performs a cable test on each cable connect to its ports. If the cable is less than 10m in length, the port is placed in low power mode (nominal power). Short cable mode and EEE mode cannot be enabled on the same port simultaneously.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements