× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guest WiFi connection can't access Internet using WN203 access point and GS108E in VLAN config

DonD
Guide

Guest WiFi connection can't access Internet using WN203 access point and GS108E in VLAN config

I'm new to VLAN technology, and am beginning to wish I never heard of it.  I'm try to setup a Guest SSID and main network users SSID, such that Guests can't access main network resources.

Here's the setup:

WN203 access point:

- Main network SSID setup with security and assigned to VLAN 1

- Guest profile SSID setup without security and assigned to VLAN 2

GS108E swtich:

- port 1:  main network computer, no VLAN capability

- port 2:  another main network computer, no VLAN capability

- port 3:  WN203 access point

- port 8:  Router, no VLAN capability

- VLAN 1 membership:  ports 1, 2, 3, 8

- VLAN 2 membership:  ports 3, 8

The Problem:

Guest WiFi connection won't connect to Internet (bad!) and don't see network resources (good!).  Main network WiFi connection connects to Internet and can see all network resources.

Sure could use some help with this.

Thanks in advance,

Don

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
DonD
Guide

Re: Guest WiFi connection can't access Internet using WN203 access point and GS108E in VLAN config

Okay, got it!  I think I finally understand how VLAN configuration works.  The example on that link really helped!   I just ordered a Netgear FVS318N.  I put one of those in a previous church, and now will put one in my current church.

Thanks again for you help!

Don

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 15

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Guest WiFi connection can't access Internet using WN203 access point and GS108E in VLAN config

Hello DonD, 

Welcome to the community! 

For you to achieve the setup you wanted you'll need a router with VLAN capabilities, this will let your control routing and also can give you another set of IP addresses for the guest network. The GS108E does not have DHCP and routing capabilities since it is only a Layer 2 switch. 

I hope this information helps, let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 15
DonD
Guide

Thanks, JohnRo for your reply.

Is it necessary for the main network computers and Guest connected computers to have VLAN capabilities also?

Also, could I have chosen a different switch that would solve this problem and still use the same router?

Don

Message 3 of 15
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD, 

Most of the computers these days are already VLAN unaware so there's no need to worry much about the devices connecting. Yes, you have that option as well but Layer 3 switches are a bit expensive (could be more expensive than a VLAN router). 

Also, here's an example of creating multiple VLAN configuration that you may use as a guide. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 15
DonD
Guide

Okay on that.  You mentioned an attachment that I don't think you attached.

Don

Message 5 of 15
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD, 

Sorry, that was silly Smiley LOL. I have it updated and the link is now active. 

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 15
DonD
Guide

JohnRo,

I'm sorry, but I still don't see a way to access your attachment/link.  Maybe, I just don't know how to work this forum?

Don

Message 7 of 15
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD, 

It is a hyperlink, but don't worry I'll just post it below: 

Creating multiple VLAN configuration

Thanks, 

Message 8 of 15
DonD
Guide

Don't know how I missed that hyperlink.  I see it now.  Thanks much, JohnRo!

Don

Message 9 of 15
DonD
Guide

JohnRo,

One more question if I may.  Do computers on a VLAN network have to specifiy which VLAN ID they are working with, or can the fact that the switch port (set to specific VLAN ID) they are connected to limits their LAN?  If they do have to specify, how/where is that set on the computer?

Don

Message 10 of 15
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DonD, 

They are VLAN unaware so the control will be from the switches. They will just correspond to the network they are connected to. 

Thanks, 

Message 11 of 15
DonD
Guide

Okay, got it!  I think I finally understand how VLAN configuration works.  The example on that link really helped!   I just ordered a Netgear FVS318N.  I put one of those in a previous church, and now will put one in my current church.

Thanks again for you help!

Don

Message 12 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD,

In addition to the helpful link that JohnRo has shared with you, let me also share this article as reference guide in setting up VLANs on a NETGEAR switch and assigning VLANs on a wireless network configured in a NETGEAR access point.  

Hope it helps. 🙂

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 15
DonD
Guide

Thanks, DaneA.  This is also helpful.

Don

Message 14 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD,

You're welcome! 🙂

Feel free to post your future concerns here on the community.

Cheers,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements