× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HOW TO UPDATE MY NETGEAR SWITCH

Killersystems51
Aspirant

HOW TO UPDATE MY NETGEAR SWITCH

Sorry guys i need help i have no idea about networking so i need help updating my switch i have the netgear MS510TXPP why is it so complicated on my other switches i just go to system and it updates also how do i get the fiber port to work and i want to have my computer  running  on 2.5gb lan or the 10gb please help i have 2.5 gb internet so i would like to at lest get that please

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: HOW TO UPDATE MY NETGEAR SWITCH

Everything is simple and easy.

@Killersystems51 wrote:

i just go to system and it updates

Here you go:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/MS510TX/MS510TX_MS510TXPP_UM_EN.pdf 

p.316 Download a File to the Switch 

...for simplicity use a web browser and http...

p.318 Download a File to the Switch Using HTTP

p.320 says Manage Files

"The switch maintains two versions of the software (firmware) in permanent storage. One
image is the active image, and the second image is the backup image. The active image is
loaded during subsequent switch restarts. This feature reduces switch down time when you
are upgrading or downgrading the switch software."

p.320 Change the Image That Loads During the Boot Process  ...up to p.322

@Killersystems51 wrote:

how do i get the fiber port to work

Very similar to a copper Ethernet connection plugging an Ethernet RJ45 network cable to the ports, establish a connection between the SFP/SFP+ ports, by adding SFP/SFP+ modules for allowing the physical connection of the matching fiber. This could be also some Fiber DAC cable if both SFP sides support the same speed.

@Killersystems51 wrote:

and i want to have my computer  running  on 2.5gb lan or the 10gb please help i have 2.5 gb internet so i would like to at lest

Does your router (e.g. from your ISP) has a 2.5G, a MultiGig 2.5/5G/10G port? If yes, Establish a connection from the nice MS510TXPP to this port. Using a copper Ethernet cable (four pairs, ideally CAT5E or better), or DAC if both SFP support the same speed. 

Needless to say you need either multiple computer on the network to take an advantage of the additional speed, or at least one computer with a network adapters supporting that speed.

No rocket science, plain networking again, too. Just new technologies you need to become familiar again, too.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements