× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Having trouble programming a M4300 the same as a S3300 with VLANS

boe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having trouble programming a M4300 the same as a S3300 with VLANS

Hello,

On all of the S3300's I've programmed in the past, I have the firewall control access between VLANS.   I connect the firewall on port 1 of the switch.  I set all the VLANS on port 1 as tagged and usually use VLAN 10 as my default PVID - untagged for all the rest.   When I try to program the M4300 I get knocked off, it isn't trying to find a new VLAN for management or IP so I can't access it.  I have it set up DHCP as I have all my other switches.   Something is different or I've forgotten something.  This is the way Netgear techs showed me to do it a few years ago and it has worked great. I've set up about 50 this way and they work fine.  

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture4.JPGCapture5.JPG

Is it possible I'm just forgetting something?  I know the firewall is right because I connected it to one that has an S3300 on it working fine.

Message 1 of 2
boe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Having trouble programming a M4300 the same as a S3300 with VLANS

I did a number of changes and determined that the issue really is just that the unit doesn't reliably get a DHCP address on any other VLAN than VLAN1. The other switches Netgear makes don't have that issue. It could be that I have a defective one or it could more likely be that netgear needs to address this in a firmware update for the M4300.   So if you are going to change the default PVID or VLAN - make sure to give the switch a STATIC IP on that vlan before doing anything.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements