× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with multicast through 2 managed switches

Flicker20
Aspirant

Help with multicast through 2 managed switches

Hi all

I'm a newb and I'm having issues getting the configuration correct for a multicast device - it either doesn't work or floods my network when it does work.

I have a HDMI over IP/TCP transmitter connected from my PC upstairs, into a managed switch JGS524PE in port 24. Then in port 22 I have a cable running to downstairs and which meets another smaller switch GS105Ev2 in to port 1. Port 3 then goes to the receiver of the HDMI over IP/TCP device. (Port 5 of said switch goes to my router/modem)

How can I configure this so that both HDMI devices talk to each other and nothing else, and without flooding my network? Or is there a change in configuration/switch that I can do that will make this work?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Help with multicast through 2 managed switches

@Flicker20,

Welcome to the community!

Are the switches running the latest FW in which the JG524PE's latest is v2.6.0.48 (release notes here) and the GS105Ev2's latest is v1.6.0.11 (release notes here)?

Another thing you can try is to enable IGMP Snooping Status, Block Unknown MultiCast Address, and Validate IGMPv3 IP header which is located on System > Multicast (see page 51 of the user manual here) to see if that will resolve the issue.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Flicker20
Aspirant

Hi Jerald

Thanks for the reply.

They are both running the latest firmwares.
I have tried multiple settings all involving the IGMP Snooping Status, Blocking Unknown MultiCast Address and Validating IGMPv3 IP headers but I can't work out the full settings of them to make it work

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Message 3 of 4
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Flicker20,

What you can try here is to create a VLAN only network for the HDMI over IP transmitters then assign the ports to that VLAN accordingly.

If the issue still occurs, I suggest contacting NETGEAR Support by opening a support case (please see KB article here).

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements