× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I block broadcast messages to a specific port?

Islepilot
Aspirant

How do I block broadcast messages to a specific port?

Hi,

I have a situation that I am having trouble solving.  I suspect it isn't hard to do if you are a networking expert (which I am not), so hopefully someone can get me vectored in the right direction.

I have a very small network of devices hooked to the GS716Tv3 (caps to keep the device names straight):

* I have a DEVICE on 192.168.20.xxx broadcasting at a very high rate.

* I have a MICROCONTROLLER on 192.168.10.yyy that has a rudimentary TCP stack and crashes due to the broadcast packets.  I have no control over this little device, and even though it is what creates all of the trouble, I am stuck with it.

* I have a PC on 192.168.10.zzz that needs to receive the broadcast packets from the DEVICE and it also needs to communicate to the MICROCONTROLLER .

Here is what I have tried:

* I created two VLANs, 10 for the 192.168.10 network and 20 for the 192.168.20 network.  The problem here is I can't figure out how to get the broadcast messages from VLAN 20 to VLAN 10.  If I could do that I presume I could use ACL to block the messages from getting to the microcontroller.  The problem is, it looks like there is no way to relay broadcast messages on the GS716T...is this true?

* I tried moving the PC to the VLAN 20 network (changing the IP number to 192.168.20.zzz of course) and while it can then see the broadcast messages, the MICROCONTROLLER on VLAN 10 has some sort of trouble getting the packets from it (the packets get there, but the connection is immediately dropped).  I tested comm between the two VLANs using windows boxes and everything is okay, so once again I am just bitten by the dumb microcontroller.

I have come up with two (suboptimal) solutions that might work, but I am hoping someone in the know would have a better idea.

Bad idea # 1:  Install an FVX538 router in the mix...I could put the MICROCONTROLLER on one of the LANs on the router, and place the PC and DEVICE on the switch connected to the WAN...for whatever reason, this doesn't kill the MICROCONTROLLER, but requires the extra hardware.

BAD idea #2:  Figure out how to change the IP addresses on the MICROCONTROLLER and put all three items on one network and then figure out how to block the broadcast messages going to the MICROCONTROLLER port.  Is this even possible?  I looked at storm control, but it looks like that is a way to block broadcast messages coming into the switch, not out a specific port.  I don't want to limit the broadcast messages from the DEVICE to the PC.

I hope I am just missing something basic here and hopefully someone will have a much better solution for me to try.

Thanks in advance!

Keith

Model: GS716Tv3|ProSAFE 16-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How do I block broadcast messages to a specific port?

Hi @Islepilot,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I inquired your concern to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support.  As per the higher tier of NETGEAR Support:  "Broadcast packets don’t pass to other VLANs because each VLAN is an independent broadcast domain. Can the DEVICE send the traffic multicast? -- this might be a way around it. Otherwise, if you can get it working using the FVX538, then that might be the best you can get."

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Islepilot,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I inquired your concern to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support.  As per the higher tier of NETGEAR Support:  "Broadcast packets don’t pass to other VLANs because each VLAN is an independent broadcast domain. Can the DEVICE send the traffic multicast? -- this might be a way around it. Otherwise, if you can get it working using the FVX538, then that might be the best you can get."

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Islepilot
Aspirant

Thanks, DaneA.  Adding the firewall router ended up being the easiest solution. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements