× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: JGS524PE Regularly Hangs, Stopping all Traffic, and Requires a Reboot

kdwilliams
Tutor

JGS524PE Regularly Hangs, Stopping all Traffic, and Requires a Reboot

i have a JGS524PE PoE switch which is currently under test, prior to being installed in the network. At least once every 24 hour period the switch hangs and needs to be rebooted. During the hang, all network traffic through the switch stops, the switch cannot be managed, pinged, connected to in anyway. I've recently put the latest firmware on the switch 2.0.1.26, in the hope that that would resolve this.

Traffic volumes are low, all connections are 100Mb, unrestricted, and there are only 6 ports in use - of 24. None of the connections are PoE, although some of the PoE ports are being used.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with this switch? Is there a way to examine log files? Use a syslog service to interogate what is happening?

I don't think I've enabled anything daft / overly complicated - certainly nothing clever like multipl VLANs or LAG groups, it's basically the default configuration, with a manual (new) IP address... but, at this rate, the switch will not be usable on a production network, and i'll be looking at replacing it.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kdwilliams, 

For now, using the older firmware is our workaround and only used it to isolate the issue. However, if you will continue to get the issue I suggest you contact support. I have checked your products that are registered on our system and the JGS524PE is under our lifetime warranty, so if determined that this is a hardware issue you can still have it replaced. This device does not have a lot of features since it is only an Unmanaged Plus Switch

I hope my answer helps. If you have more questions, we'll be happy to assist. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kdwilliams, 

Welcome to the community! 

I have checked our system for reported issues and have not seen any issues related to yours, I believe this might be an isolated case. Do you notice if the switch gets hot when it stops working? Please check if all the fans are working properly. I would also like to see if it is alright if we test an older firmware version. 

I'll look forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 9
kdwilliams
Tutor

Hi JohnRo...

it doesnt appear to get hot, but i have noticed that the fan light is not on and the fan appears to be off. The switch is in a cabinet in another room, so its not immediately obvious if the fan ever runs, or stops... i've just checked it and it is running just now, though.

I can certainly test an older firmware, that should be straight forward 🙂

Message 3 of 9
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kdwilliams, 

Well, I would say it is a hardware problem if the fans stop working. The switch is quite big so, it is critical if the fans will stop. Please test an older firmware version and tell me the results, also try to observe if the fans are not working. 

I'll look forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 9
kdwilliams
Tutor

Ok, I'll try an older firmware today... any specific version recommended?

The fans appear to be running just now - so maybe its an intermiitent thing?

Message 5 of 9
kdwilliams
Tutor

Ok, it is currently running 2.0.1.17 firmware... lets see what happens today. It has not 'hung' in the last 24 hours... so i would expect, based on recent form, that it will do so this morning.

Message 6 of 9
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kdwilliams, 

If in case it work for more than 24 hours and no symptoms appear, upgrade the firmware back to the latest version and test again. 

Hopefully, it will work as expected. 

I'll look forward to your update. 

Thanks, 

Message 7 of 9
kdwilliams
Tutor

I've tried all the available firmwares. The one that appears to give best stability appears to be 2.0.1.17... which is what it's running now. I'm a bit stumped, I'm used to having switches / devices i can review event logs on. There don't appear to be any that are user accessible. So I've got no real idea what is going on.

I suspect i am past the time i can return this device, but I am seriously considering switching it out for something else.

Message 8 of 9
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kdwilliams, 

For now, using the older firmware is our workaround and only used it to isolate the issue. However, if you will continue to get the issue I suggest you contact support. I have checked your products that are registered on our system and the JGS524PE is under our lifetime warranty, so if determined that this is a hardware issue you can still have it replaced. This device does not have a lot of features since it is only an Unmanaged Plus Switch

I hope my answer helps. If you have more questions, we'll be happy to assist. 

Thanks, 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements