× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAG across multiple (stacked) swtiches

arainero
Aspirant

LAG across multiple (stacked) swtiches

Hello,

I was wondering if this sceneario is possible and if it is the best one for a highly available network.

If I had two switches that were stacked can I LAG a port from each switch for redundancy?

For example, if Switch A and Switch B were stacked together (clustered as "one"), can I LAG port 1 from Switch A and port 1 from Switch B together that both go into the network card on my server?

In this scenario if Switch A were to stop working then all traffic should flow over Switch B, right? Or am I misunderstanding something with this scenario?

If there is a better way to achieve this with different methods or technology Netgear has I would like to hear it.

Thanks for your time!

Model: GS728TXS|ProSAFE Smart Switch with 10G fiber
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: LAG across multiple (stacked) swtiches

Hi Arainero,

Welcome to our Community !

Yes you can LAG the switches across the stack, that's called normally distributed LAG. This is possible because we provide a "Physical" Stacking across all our switches so you can create LAGS using different switch ports.

Hope that it helps.

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Arainero,

Welcome to our Community !

Yes you can LAG the switches across the stack, that's called normally distributed LAG. This is possible because we provide a "Physical" Stacking across all our switches so you can create LAGS using different switch ports.

Hope that it helps.

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 2 of 4
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI Arainero.

I forgot  to answer your questiona about what happen if the switch A fails, in this case you are right all the traffic will be forwarded to the Switch B. On the server please make sure that you implement link aggregation 802.3ad to set up the LAG.

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 3 of 4
arainero
Aspirant

Ok, great to hear. Thank you for your assistance.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements