× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN, VLAN, on a single data socket

Viper18181
Aspirant

LAN, VLAN, on a single data socket

I am not a networing expert and stuck with this issue.

I have the following case:

I have a single data wall socket behind my TV and I need to to connect many devices to this data socket.

My ISP provides a device for internet and TV service. This device has 4 ports; 1 for internet and 3 for TV.

The problem is TV reciever must be connected directly to main device.

I have done the following:

On TV side, I have GS308E (8 Port Smart switch) and given port 1 VLAN4

On the ISP device side, I have GS724Tv3 (24 Port Smart switch) and given port 14, 16, 18, 20 VLAN 4 also.

It didn't work.

Any suggestions??

Model: GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch, GS724Tv3|24 ports ProSafe Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: LAN, VLAN, on a single data socket

Again, only ONE IPTV port must be connected between the ISP Device and the switch, for example only the one connecting to port #20 on the switch. Otherwise, you will create a network loop on the IPTV network.

Then, also the yellow port #22 and the blue #20 must have the exact matching VLAN config on the GS724T as shown in the VLAN table config for the GS308E.

If you have two more TV boxes and switches: Asuming you want to connect these from the GS724T, you need to configure two more ports as a trunk (like the yellow #22, to the VLAN config very similar to the port #8 on the GS308E.

No, port based VLAN does work within one switch only.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Keep it simple - and avoid connecting multiple ports of the same VLAN/switch (on the router) why ever:

You need two VLANs - say VLAN 1 for primary Internet, and VLAN 4 for TV - ensure these VLANs are created on 802.1Q mode (1 is on by default).

Configure the two trunk ports for VLAN 1 and VLAN 4 as [T]agged (PVID 1, just in case) and connect to the cable in the wall installation.

Configure one port on both ends to VLAN 4 [U]ntagged, PVID 4 (only, remove from VLAN 1) - this does connect to the router TV port resp. to the TV.

Keep all other ports on both switches as VLAN 1 [U]ntagged, PVID 1. Connect only one to one router Internet ports. This will allow using all ports for Internet.  

Message 2 of 10
Viper18181
Aspirant

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I have not found the time to try your instructions.

I will try it later today and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
Viper18181
Aspirant

Hi again,

I have tried your solution. It didn't work; not because it is wrong, but I know I couldn't follow it as you explained it.

I have attached a pdf with screenshots for what I have done.

If you had time, take a look at it please.

Thanks

Message 4 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Ok, on the big switch - why are there four ports configured in some way for the IPTV - beyond the one connected to the provider router IPTV port? Only one port must be configured untagged for the VLAN 4/PVID 4 - this is where you connect the router IP TV port. Of course, should there be more ports for IPTV media boxes, configure the same. And remove any relation to VLAN 1 on these.

What is missing is a configuration of the port used to connect the two switches or is the intention using a LAG? For the VLAN side, it's the same: Configure this trunk port [or the LAGs] with both VLAN 1 and VLAN 4 to tagged.

Message 5 of 10
Viper18181
Aspirant

Hi there...

I have replied few days ago but for somereason it was not posted.

I have tried the configurations as in the attached files.

Devices on VLAN4 were connected to the TV port on the ISP device. Other devices such as the TV did not have any access to the network shares or internet access.

What if I tried port based VLANs instead.... these TV ports do not require anything but a direct connection to the ISP device.

Please take a look at the attachement..

Regards.

Message 6 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Again, only ONE IPTV port must be connected between the ISP Device and the switch, for example only the one connecting to port #20 on the switch. Otherwise, you will create a network loop on the IPTV network.

Then, also the yellow port #22 and the blue #20 must have the exact matching VLAN config on the GS724T as shown in the VLAN table config for the GS308E.

If you have two more TV boxes and switches: Asuming you want to connect these from the GS724T, you need to configure two more ports as a trunk (like the yellow #22, to the VLAN config very similar to the port #8 on the GS308E.

No, port based VLAN does work within one switch only.

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Viper18181 have your VLANs with the IPTV and the Internet part operational now?

Message 8 of 10
Viper18181
Aspirant

Hi..
Thanks for your follow up..
I need to try this one 3 locations.
3 TVs, 3 wall data sockets, 3 switches to have the same configuration and to be all connected on one big switch... then connected to the ISP's tv ports..

I will try it tomorrow and hopefully it will work.
If it didn't, I will tag all vlan 4 ports...
Message 9 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Viper18181 wrote:
3 TVs, 3 wall data sockets, 3 switches to have the same configuration and to be all connected on one big switch... then connected to the ISP's tv ports..

...only one ISP TV port on the router please.

In case the ISP IPTV system is IGMP Multicast based, enable IGMP multicast on the IPTV VLAN on both switches.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements