× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: LAN disconnection issue

Donchik
Aspirant

LAN disconnection issue

Dear all,

I have a single PC on a LAN that every few days suddenly reports a "Red X" and no connection to the LAN.

I've run a cable test, and no error/short etc. is reported.

I restart the switch, and all is working again.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Do I have a defective switch, perhaps it's best to warranty swap out?

Any advice welcome. BTW: I do not have a support contract, so cannot ask Netgear which I find a real irritation! (Note for Netgear)

Best regards,

D.

Model: GS724Tv3|24 ports ProSafe Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Donchik,

As far as I know, there is no compatibility issue between the GS724Tv3 switch and Realtek GBe PCIe LAN card.  A new firmware version  for the GS724Tv3 switch has been released which is the v5.4.2.25.  I suggest you to try to upload it to your GS724Tv3 switch.  You may download it here.  Be reminded to perform a factory reset after updating the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch.  Observe if same problem will occur.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Donchik,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Have you tried connecting another PC or laptop to your GS724Tv3 switch?? 

b. Does same problem occur if you connect your PC to other LAN ports of your GS724Tv3 switch?

c. Have you tried to update the software driver of the LAN adapter of your PC?

d. What is the current firmware version of your GS724Tv3 switch?

e. Have you tried to perform a factory reset on your GS724Tv3 switch?

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 14
Donchik
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

a. I've hooked up other devices, but as they need to sit at the location for several days before the issue appears, I've not been able to isolate it.

b. Other PC's on the network do not appear to have this or similar issue.

c. Yes Latest LAN drivers installed.

d. I think this is the latest

Model NameBoot VersionSoftware Version
GS724Tv3B5.1.1.15.4.2.19

e. Yes as part of the latest firmware update.

Thanks for the assistance,

D.

Message 3 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Donchik,

You may try to open command prompt on the PC where the problem appears that is connected to the GS724Tv3 then do a continuous ping to the IP address of another PC that is also connected to the GS724Tv3 and vice versa.  Observe which PC will time out first and which PC will still continuously ping.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 14
Donchik
Aspirant

Sorry DaneA, but what will that achieve?

Are you hoping to keep the port open? Do you suspect a timeout issue?

I do find it odd that the switch does not appear to report any errors in the cable, but the PC thinks it has a full disconnect, such as an open/unplugged lead.

Thanks

D.

Message 5 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Donchik,

For further isolation of the problem, setup port mirroring on the GS724Tv3 switch to monitor the port activity using Wireshark.  Select a port as a source port on the GS724Tv3 switch where the PC (wherein the problem appears) is directly connected.  Then, select another port as a destination port on the GS724Tv3 switch where a PC with Wireshark installed in it is directly connected.  Observe if same problem will occur.   It would be best that Wireshark could capture the packets on the event the problem occurs from the source port.

Kindly access this article on how to set up port mirroring.  You may download Wireshark on this link.  As reference, you may check this link I found online on how to use Wireshark.  

For the captured packets to be analyzed, kindly open an online case with NETGEAR Support at anytime.  Attach the captured packets from Wireshark on the case you have opened to be analyze by the NETGEAR Support team. 

Regards,  

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Donchik,

Just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to do packet capture and open an online case with NETGEAR Support  as per my suggestion?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 14
Donchik
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Been reading the links you sent me, but to be honest, I'm totally out of my depth with this.

I'm very unclear about what I need to do with the fort forwarding, and concerned about wireshark ahd the privacy concerns relating to its use, especially if I configure it incorrectly.

I would not be comfortable to proceed down this route, and me simply raise a warranty claim to get the switch exchanged.

Many thanks,

D.

Message 8 of 14
Donchik
Aspirant

Dear all,

SInce I posted this earlier in the year, I've continued to struggle on with the switch.

Recently I had an Asus Motherboard die on me, in a different PC. I've replaced the motherboard, and discovered the same issue has again begun on this new PC.

I've looked at the motherboard specs, and discovered that both use the Realtek GBe PCIe LAN onboard. I now suspect that some configuration setting in the Realtek driver is incompatible with the switch, or is not being handled correctly. Does anybody have any idea what setting may cause such behaviour.

Best regards,

Don

Model: GS724Tv3|24-port ProSAFE Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 9 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Donchik,

As far as I know, there is no compatibility issue between the GS724Tv3 switch and Realtek GBe PCIe LAN card.  A new firmware version  for the GS724Tv3 switch has been released which is the v5.4.2.25.  I suggest you to try to upload it to your GS724Tv3 switch.  You may download it here.  Be reminded to perform a factory reset after updating the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch.  Observe if same problem will occur.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 14
Donchik
Aspirant

Hi Dane,

I've updated the firmware, and completed a full factory reset.

I will not "Tinker" with any other settings except turning off the DCHP and changing the device IP and password.

I will update you once a few days have passed and if the error reoccurs.

Many thanks,

D.

Message 11 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Donchik,

I just want to follow-up on this.  How is your GS724Tv3 switch after updating the firmware to v5.4.2.25?  What are your observations? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 14
Donchik
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Sorry for the delay, been trying different ways to recreate the issue since the firmware update.

I did once get it to fall over, but only on one PC after a wake from sleep.

As the issue was usually an issue when the PC was awoken for any state, it does look like this has fixed the issue. The sleep fallover was it appears a rogue event, and it certainly is not happening every time as it was before.

Obviously I remain confused as to why it should report an open connection, not just no internet, or other kind of fault, but I'm very glad that the issue appears to have gone away.

Many thanks for your support and patience with a Network Virgin 🙂

D.

Message 13 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Donchik,

You're welcome! 🙂   I'm happy to know that the issue have gone away. 

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements