× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LanSweeper and Netgear Plus switch scanning

JonathanTerry
Aspirant

LanSweeper and Netgear Plus switch scanning

Started work for a new company that was still using old 3Com unmanaged 10/100 switchs and could not understand why they were having problems.  Unwilling to spring for the latested and greatest in these times of small budgets I managed to finagle 2 Netgear GS116Ev2 switchs from NewEgg for a fair price.  Not thinking clearly regarding management I failed to realize that these switchs have no SNMP.  Sigh.  I use LanSweeper to mainting oversight of the network.  It is free and fast and simple.  Unfortunately there does not seem to be an easy way to get it and the Switch to cooperate with each other.  So question 1.  Anyone use LanSweeper with Netgear Plus switchs?  2.   Is there a way to set up a "user name" on the switch?  The password only aspect of logging into the switch really confuses Lansweeper.  3.  Any suggestions on other software that is free fast and simple for network management and oversight?

Thanks for your time.

Jonathan Terry

Network Admin, American Lenders Service Company

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 16-port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: LanSweeper and Netgear Plus switch scanning

Hi JonathanTerry,

I'm not sure if you are only looking for a 16-port switch but in case you do, I suggest the GS716Tv3. You'll see on the download site there is an MIB file download which you can use for SNMP. For other models, please click here

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello JonathanTerry,

Welcome to the community! 

I have not used LANSweeper myself but I don't believe it will work out with the Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility of the switch. It is a management tool of its own. This model has limited capabilities compared to our smart switches which can work with SNMP and has more options in management. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JonathanTerry,

Let me know if you have more questions. I'll try as much as I can to answer them. 

Thanks,

Message 3 of 6
JonathanTerry
Aspirant

Really appreciate your help.  Hindsight is wonderfully 20/20.  Really need a SNMP enabled switch for LanSweeper on the other hand they do have the ability to show Relationships so while I can't actually define and monitor based on Port and MAC address I can show what is connected to the switch with releationships.  

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 16-port Gigabit Switch
Message 4 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JonathanTerry,

I'm not sure if you are only looking for a 16-port switch but in case you do, I suggest the GS716Tv3. You'll see on the download site there is an MIB file download which you can use for SNMP. For other models, please click here

Thanks,

Message 5 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JonathanTerry,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements