× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Log flooded with: NOTE Fan state change alarm: Unit: 1 Fan ID: 2 Event: 3 - Operational -

WojtekC
Guide

Log flooded with: NOTE Fan state change alarm: Unit: 1 Fan ID: 2 Event: 3 - Operational -

Hello,

After latest wirmware update, my logs are filled with messages like this:

<13> Apr 26 09:54:41 xxxxxxx TRAPMGR[boxs_Req]: traputil.c(795) 644 %% NOTE Fan state change alarm: Unit: 1 Fan ID: 2 Event: 3 - Operational
<14> Apr 26 09:54:41 xxxxxxx BOXSERV[boxs_Req]: boxs.c(1280) 643 %% INFO Unit 1 fan 2 OPERATIONAL event (3) occurred.
<13> Apr 26 09:54:41 xxxxxxx TRAPMGR[boxs_Req]: traputil.c(795) 642 %% NOTE Fan state change alarm: Unit: 1 Fan ID: 1 Event: 3 - Operational
<14> Apr 26 09:54:41 xxxxxxx BOXSERV[boxs_Req]: boxs.c(1280) 641 %% INFO Unit 1 fan 1 OPERATIONAL event (3) occurred.

These four messagess occurs on intervals between around 15-120min.

As I understand, fans are turned on, because switch heats up itself, and needs to be cooled. But I dont need to know about that, and since memory log is flooded with these messages, is possible that I miss more important messages (ports up/down for example).

Is there any way to disable these particular messages?

And second (sub)question:

In web config interface, on first page, there is a table like this:

SensorDescriptionTemp(C)StateMax Temp (C)
1System38Normal42
2MAC43Normal54
3System-237Normal41

I vave two pieces of this model, and they differ with "Max Temp" values, so question is:

Is that maximum value unit has since last rebot, or something else?

And what is maximum safe value of temperature on MAC sensor?

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Log flooded with: NOTE Fan state change alarm: Unit: 1 Fan ID: 2 Event: 3 - Operational -

@WojtekC wrote:

As I understand, fans are turned on, because switch heats up itself, and needs to be cooled. But I dont need to know about that, and since memory log is flooded with these messages, is possible that I miss more important messages (ports up/down for example).

It's very common the maximum of information available is feed to the memory log. If you are keen for "more important messages" consider SNMP trap receivers, syslog collection and management platforms, ... these will be able to provide just-in-time messages where required.

@WojtekC wrote:

Is there any way to disable these particular messages?

Probably not.

@WojtekC wrote:

In web config interface, on first page, there is a table like this:

SensorDescriptionTemp(C)StateMax Temp (C)
1System38Normal42
2MAC43Normal54
3System-237Normal41

I vave two pieces of this model, and they differ with "Max Temp" values, so question is:

Is that maximum value unit has since last rebot, or something else?

Max temp since last boot.

@WojtekC wrote:

And what is maximum safe value of temperature on MAC sensor?

Much higher than we expect. Convinced the system will tell you if the MAC goes anywhere near to these temperatures (see above...) - typical "special" situations would be aircondition failure in a dense rack or data center, short before the environment management system will kill the power.

Message 2 of 4
WojtekC
Guide

Re: Log flooded with: NOTE Fan state change alarm: Unit: 1 Fan ID: 2 Event: 3 - Operational -

"Much higher than we expect."  - I dont know how much to expect.

In older firmware log was flooded by some messages about critical tempeatures (dont remember precisely), but temperatures on MAC sensors never goes above 55 Celsius, so probably cooling fand were turned on for short periods (never seen them working) and cool device down.

Now, with latest firmware, logs looks better, but I'm little concerned about thermal conditions. One unit can be exposed to 40 Celsius in summer time (industrial environment), so if maximum MAC temperature is, for example 60 Celsius, then I need some air conditioner. On the other hand, if it's around 90, then device is safe.

So, I still like to know, how high MAC temperature can safely go.

Message 3 of 4
WojtekC
Guide

A quote from bug fixes list M4300 firmware:

" FAN interrupt messages are logged even when the FAN is working perfectly which is not necessary."

https://kb.netgear.com/000063719/M4300-Firmware-Version-12-0-13-7

Hope that in cheaper models it will be someday fixed too.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements