× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MS510TX, can't manage because "not in the same subnet"

monsieur_cedric
Aspirant

MS510TX, can't manage because "not in the same subnet"

Just received my MS510TX. 

Using win10 x64, FW is 6.7.0.50 (can't update)

so, SWITCH DISCOVERY finds the Switch, but pressing "admin page" gives me a timed-out connection error.

SmartControlCenter also finds it, but when I press "web browser access", same timed-out error.

"DHCP refresh" give "Could not refresh the selected task using DHCP"

When going to the "MAINTENANCE" tab, you can see in the bottom "Warning: Commands may fail because SmartControlCenter and device are not in the same subnet. Recommend changing device 192.168.0.239 or this SmartControlCenter workstation to the same subnet. SmartControlCenter has IP: 192.168.1.69 Gateway: 192.168.1.1 Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0", and there is also this message "Alert: This device IP is in a different subnet. Cancel or Continue the action".

Not sure what to do here as I am not familiar with subnet masks, gateway...

the Switch in the only device connected to my Zyxel AX7501-B0 router.

I also have a ASUS XT8 Mesh (2 nodes) connected to the MS510TX.

I hope someone can help!

Cheers to all.

Model: MS510TX|8-port Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 10G Copper / 10G SFP+ Fiber Uplinks
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: MS510TX, can't manage because "not in the same subnet"

One would expect the MS510TX would be able to receive a DHCP assigned IP address, e.g. from your ASUS XT8 Mesh primary node if it's in router mode. Ensure the MS510TX MAC address is added to any security on this router, so it can get access to the network like any other wired or wireless device.

The alternate approach would be to temporarily configure a computer into that other 192.168.0.x/24 network, like 192.168.0.123, MAsk 255.255.255.0, default gateway and DNS 192.168.0.1 (regardless if it exists, and override any kind of connectivity tests. Now you can ping the switch on 192.168.0.239, access the management Web interface using a Web browser, set a fixed IP (not overlapping, ideally outside of the routers DHCP pool) in your LAN subnet (like 192.168.1.123, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1, DNS 192.168.1.1). From here ou should be able to reach the switch from your nomal LAN/WLAN network (driven by the Asus router!). Everything under the assumption the Asus does isue 192.168.1.x addresses of course.   

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 25

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

One would expect the MS510TX would be able to receive a DHCP assigned IP address, e.g. from your ASUS XT8 Mesh primary node if it's in router mode. Ensure the MS510TX MAC address is added to any security on this router, so it can get access to the network like any other wired or wireless device.

The alternate approach would be to temporarily configure a computer into that other 192.168.0.x/24 network, like 192.168.0.123, MAsk 255.255.255.0, default gateway and DNS 192.168.0.1 (regardless if it exists, and override any kind of connectivity tests. Now you can ping the switch on 192.168.0.239, access the management Web interface using a Web browser, set a fixed IP (not overlapping, ideally outside of the routers DHCP pool) in your LAN subnet (like 192.168.1.123, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1, DNS 192.168.1.1). From here ou should be able to reach the switch from your nomal LAN/WLAN network (driven by the Asus router!). Everything under the assumption the Asus does isue 192.168.1.x addresses of course.   

Message 2 of 25
monsieur_cedric
Aspirant

Thanks,

I actually didn't notice the ASUS XT8 was in router mode. As I already have a router (the Zyxel), I have now switched the XT8 to Acces Point Mode, which seems more appropriate.

I will try your solution this weekend, as I have to make sure it works on Monday.

In the meantime, please find attached a map of my network, I guess that should help.

Model: MS510TX|8-port Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 10G Copper / 10G SFP+ Fiber Uplinks
Message 3 of 25
schumaku
Guru

Ok, appears you have the ZyXEL CPE connected direct to the switch - permitting the port you connected the switch to isn't a special function of feature port like for IPTV - one would assume the switch can get an IP address assigned from the ZyXEL DHCP.

The XT8 wireless system should not have an impact in this set-up, permitting in router mode it's LAN does not use the same IP subnet (what would cause several other issues). AP mode is certainly the way to go.

Message 4 of 25
monsieur_cedric
Aspirant

Thanks,

The Zyxel only 10gbe port connects to the Switch only 10gbe port.

I am still a bit confused, though, as I am not very experieced with networks and I am not sure what to do here.

I've read someone had similar issues but it miracly worked after updating the firmware. Problem is can't do that using SmartControlCenter. USB would be the only way, but can't find anything about updating using a USB drive.

Message 5 of 25
schumaku
Guru

You neither need a USB key nor any crappy utility. Just a computer in the swith default IP subnet as explained.

And as an idea: Try a connection using a one of the other MultiGig ports to a GbE one on the ZyXEL (while disconnecting the 10G link)

Message 6 of 25
monsieur_cedric
Aspirant

Thanks, changing my computer IP allowed me to connect to the web management page.

Smart Control Center is not displaying any error message excet when I try to upgrade the Firmware, I get an error(15) message in the task list, and I can't find anything about that. I couldn't find any way to update in the web page either.

Message 7 of 25
schumaku
Guru

Consult the user manual on p.321 ff.on "Download a File to the Switch Using HTTP" and on how to select the active firmware to boot from.

Scratch SCC - it's a relict from the past.
Message 8 of 25
monsieur_cedric
Aspirant

Thanks, I did browse the manual searching for the words "firmware" and "update" and couldn't find much.

I should be ok from now! Cheers

Message 9 of 25
schumaku
Guru

Has this solved the proble that the switch dis not got an IP config by DHCP using the (copper?) 10G port?

Message 10 of 25
monsieur_cedric
Aspirant

I tried different ports, nothing worked.
I tried connecting the switch alone to 3 different pcs, no success.
I changed the ip of one of my pc, now i have access to the web page.
Message 11 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@monsieur_cedric wrote:
I tried different ports, nothing worked..

Have the current firmware active on the switch now?

Different ports on the router?

Different ports on the switch?

@monsieur_cedric wrote:
I tried connecting the switch alone to 3 different pcs, no success.

Obvious. The PCs don't have a DHCP server on board, the switch will always fall-back to the default IP address following a restart (unless you have a fixed IP config put in place of course).

@monsieur_cedric wrote:
I changed the ip of one of my pc, now i have access to the web page.

Ok, that's just the workaround for the firmware update. Had enabled the new uploaded image so it does become active after a reboot?

Message 12 of 25
monsieur_cedric
Aspirant

Yes, I managed to install the new firmware using the web management page.

I tried different ports on the router, and on the switch.

The new firmware (.51) is now active. 

Message 13 of 25
schumaku
Guru

The router security does not by mishap allow trusted MAC addresses only to issue a DHCP address?

Message 14 of 25
monsieur_cedric
Aspirant

"The router security does not by mishap allow trusted MAC addresses only to issue a DHCP address?"

I am sorry, but I don't understand what you mean...

Right now, I am having another issue: I have changed my IP to connect to the Switch and now it works, but the internet now goes on and off on this particular computer (not on the others). Right now, it is showing as "Unidentified Network - No Internet", but I can connect to the Switch. And I can connect to the internet using wifi (which connects to the Asus XT8 Mesh, which is also connected to the Switch as an Access Point Node). 

Not sure what to do at this point.

Message 15 of 25
schumaku
Guru

I still can't see why your router should not issue an IP address by DHCP just to the new switch - on any port. As mentioned, possible reson could be your ZyXEL is in modem/transprent mode (I don't think so), or some security is prohibiting the DHCP assignment.

The manual config of that computer was just to gain access to your switch. Once configured correctly, ideally getting an IP config by DHCP, you can undo the manual change on that specific computer.

The switch _should_ get an IP config from your router DHCP. If this does not work, you can still configure manually an IP address in the subnet of your normal LAN on your switch, say 192.168.1.250 Mask 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 (wild guess, that's the typical IP subnet). Compare with the IP address your devices get from the router when connected direct or over the whatever mesh system - if the mesh is correctly configured as a plain bridge (AP mode only, no router) that's the same network.

Message 16 of 25
monsieur_cedric
Aspirant

I believe the router did issue an IP by DHCP to the new switch. 

Everything works fine, except if I want to manage the switch. Then, I have to configure my PC Ethernet Properties and change the IP to gain access to the switch.

Once I'm done, I have to switch my PC to DHCP again otherwise Internet just works on and off.

Isn't there any permanent solution to access the Switch from the PC without changing the Networking configuration?

Message 17 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@monsieur_cedric wrote:

I believe the router did issue an IP by DHCP to the new switch. 

Everything works fine, except if I want to manage the switch. Then, I have to configure my PC Ethernet Properties and change the IP to gain access to the switch.

I would expect that DHCP assigned IP config would be set in place on your switch - assuming it's in DHCP mode on the management VLAN.

If this does not work, don't hesitate to get in touch with the Netgear customer service using https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx 

Message 18 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@JohnC_V do you have an idea on how to continue the assistance here?

Message 19 of 25
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@monsieur_cedric,

So the switch receives an IP from the DHCP server but it cannot be accessed by a PC in the local network unless he assigns a static IP to the PC, Can we check if they are on the same subnet? Can you ping the switch? What are the IP address of the PC and the switch? Have you tried assigning a static IP on the switch and see if that will resolve the issue?

@schumaku Thanks for reaching out. But I just have the same idea of a workaround as yours by which he hasn't tried yet.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 20 of 25
monsieur_cedric
Aspirant

Thanks @JohnC_V ,

The Switch and the PC are not on the same Subnet, that was the error message given by Smart Control Center from the beginning.

I can't ping the Switch, it gives me a "request timed-out".

IP of the PC is: 192.168.1.1

IP of the Switch is: 192.168.0.239

I haven't tried to assign a static IP on the Switch (my knowledge is limited and I wouldn't know which IP to use).

Please note that I have been able to connect to the Switch web management page after changing my PC IP, but then internet goes on and off (mostly off), so I had to use DHCP again to make it work.

Message 21 of 25
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@monsieur_cedric,

It seems that the switch is still on its default IP that is why you needed to assign the IP address of your PC in order for you to connect to the admin page. I suggest setting the switch to a static IP like 192.168.1.200, 255.255.255.0 so that it will be on the same IP subnet with your PC. Just make sure that the IP that you are going to assign to the switch does not conflict with any other devices on your network. 

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 22 of 25
schumaku
Guru

Can you please check if a computer with the DHCP client will get an IP adress assigned in that very same port? We expect the switch to get an IP address assigned with the switch configured as a DHCP client.

Tell us more about the Zyxel router DHCP config, pool size, MAC reservations, and so on.
Message 23 of 25
monsieur_cedric
Aspirant

Thanks @JohnC_V ,

Your solution seems to work. I have changed my PC IP to gain access to the Switch, then change Switch to static IP, and then put my PC back on automatic IP and it now seems to work.

Message 24 of 25
monsieur_cedric
Aspirant

Hey @schumaku 

Here is about the Zyxel router: 

IP: 192.168.1.1

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

IP Adress Range: 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

DHCP on (Server)

LAN MAC: 50:E0:39:2E:EA:A3

Let me know if you need more info.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements