× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MS510TX trick to getting routing to work correctly

evanc9126
Aspirant

MS510TX trick to getting routing to work correctly

Hello,

I am having great difficulty getting the routing and vlan routing setup on my switch.  I have the latest firmware installed which is 6.7.0.42 and am using the web interface.

In the user manual on pages 164-167 it shows the steps on setting up the routing but the steps aren't working.  Also there is an error in the manual at the end on page 350 where it's supposed shows an example illustration of vlan routing but there is nothing displayed.

Here is my setup.  I have a cisco gigabit switch deployed that has vlan routing setup.  Vlan 1 is the default/mgmt (10.0.0/29) and  Vlan 30 is the lab network (10.0.3.0/26).  The switch has IPs 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.3.1 assigned.  I have static routes setup to route 10.0.0.x traffic to 10.0.3.x and vice versa so both networks can see eachother.

I am trying to replicate this on the netgear switch.  Where I am running into a problem is setting the static route.  The switch and test machine are isolated off network so I have setup the same Vlan config as cisco and assigned the same IP addresses.  When I set the static route for 10.0.3.0/26 to have a next hop of 10.0.3.1 or 10.0.0.3, it errors out saying "Gateway cannot be one of the addresses configured on this device."  What puzzles me is one of the learned routes was setup this was where 10.0.0.0/29 has a next hop of 10.0.0.3.  How is this possible if I cannot do it manually?

The test machine has a dual network card so Port A is statically configured with 10.0.0.4 and Port B is statically configured with 10.0.3.4.  I am using port 3 on the switch for Vlan 1 and port 4 for Vlan 30.  The goal is to get this setup to where I can communicate with the switch on Port B.

What kind of trick am I missing for this setup?

Model: MS510TX|8-port Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 10G Copper / 10G SFP+ Fiber Uplinks
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: MS510TX trick to getting routing to work correctly

@evanc9126,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

This type of switch can only work with VLAN routing per interface. It does not support all the members of the VLAN as it is only a L2 switch. If you wanted to have VLAN routing working on all of the devices, then you may need a fully manageable switch.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@evanc9126,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

This type of switch can only work with VLAN routing per interface. It does not support all the members of the VLAN as it is only a L2 switch. If you wanted to have VLAN routing working on all of the devices, then you may need a fully manageable switch.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
evanc9126
Aspirant

@JohnC_V,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the reply.  I was under the impression that MS510TX was a L3 switch due to its routing capabilities.  I guess I misunderstood when reading that chapter in the manual.  I thought that enabling the routing mode under Routing > IP > IP configuration meant changing it from L2 to L3.

Looks like I will have to do some significant reconfiguring on my network to deploy this thing then as the plan was to replace the Cisco switch.  I wanted the 10 gbe capability and MS510TX was the most affordable option for my needs.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements