× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Management VLAN GS908E

jjamknight
Aspirant

Management VLAN GS908E

Does this device allow me to move the management VLAN from 1 to XX. 

At the mo, i cannot remove VLAN 1.... from all ports.... Using Port 1 as a trunk Untagged VLAN 40 DHCP unable to obtain the device IP from VLAN40

thanks 

Model: GS908E|8-port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with Cable Management
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Management VLAN GS908E

@jjamknight wrote:

There is no management VLAN on most Smart Managed Plus switches (GSxxxE). The tiny management microcontroller for the switch config does work and listen on all VLANs so restricting to just one VLAN isn't possible unfortunately.

@jjamknight wrote:

At the mo, i cannot remove VLAN 1.... from all ports.... Using Port 1 as a trunk Untagged VLAN 40 DHCP unable to obtain the device IP from VLAN40

Port 1, VLAN 40 [U]tagged does also require PVID 40 so untagged frames to the switch will be assigned to the VLAN 40. And don't forget to remove the Untagged assignment for VLAN 1. This won't help for the use case where you have multiple VLANs with DHCP servers, the switch can pick-up DHCP IP from any VLAN for the reason explained above. The only option is using a static IP config for the IP subnet in use on that VLAN 40.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@jjamknight wrote:

There is no management VLAN on most Smart Managed Plus switches (GSxxxE). The tiny management microcontroller for the switch config does work and listen on all VLANs so restricting to just one VLAN isn't possible unfortunately.

@jjamknight wrote:

Port 1, VLAN 40 [U]tagged does also require PVID 40 so untagged frames to the switch will be assigned to the VLAN 40. And don't forget to remove the Untagged assignment for VLAN 1. This won't help for the use case where you have multiple VLANs with DHCP servers, the switch can pick-up DHCP IP from any VLAN for the reason explained above. The only option is using a static IP config for the IP subnet in use on that VLAN 40.

Message 2 of 3
jjamknight
Aspirant

Thank you for the speedy reply... i agreed in fact making the IP static on that VLAN works for me. 

Cheers

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements