× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multicast VLAN setup on GS716T v2

fleggett
Aspirant

Multicast VLAN setup on GS716T v2

I would like to setup a GS716T v2 so that port 1 is the internet source from the router. Port 2 goes to a Computer, Port 3 has an IPTV feed (Multicast UDP) which is accessible by the computer, Ports 4 - 16 are to other devices on the network but are protected from the Multicast traffic but have access to the computer and the internet.

I have little understanding of Vlans sorry.

I believe I need to setup the Vlans like this:

Vlan 1 (Default)

Ports 1,2, 4 - 16 (Not 3 the IPTV source)

Vlan 3 (Audio-Video)

Port 1, 3 only

I have tried this and I can't get the computer to ping the switch but it can receive the IPTV stream. If I move the computer to port 4 I no longer have the IPTV stream but I now can ping the switch.

On Vlan 1 I have Ports 4 - 16 all markes as U

On Vlan 3 I have Port 3 marked as U

For the computer to access both Vlans I have tried marking them as both U and T on the 2 Vlans but I still can't get the configuration to work.

Finally I have enabled Vlan3 IGMP Snooping

any help would be much appreciated.

Model: GS716Tv2|16 ports ProSafe Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Multicast VLAN setup on GS716T v2

Trouble is that each VLAN does make-up a dedicated network.

The switch can't magically "merge" the IPTV network with it's DHCP IP range (probably supplied direct by a carrier side NAT), and the IGMP Multicast traffic with your router NATed LAN and it's locally router served DHCP and IP subnet. 

For the very same reason (plus some more), it's not possible to have more than one network (read VLAN) untagged on one port. Similar, only one PVID - that's the VLAN incoming untagged frames are assigned to. Of course you can configure a VLAN trunk on a switch port (or a LAG), but all VLANs must be tagged, just one can be run untagged.

Not sure what kind of IPTV network and implementation you talk of. Most of IPTV network implementation make use of Unicast UDP if using a Web browser, also for live TV. Simply because there is no IGMP Multicast client on a common Web browser. IGMP Multicast is typically used with the set-top boxes only.

Lack of more details, it's a little bit difficult to help beyond of this.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements