× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multinetting GS752TPv2

CJHM
Follower

Multinetting GS752TPv2

Hi everyone,  I am multinetting on this switch with two separate routers connected to the switch, running two separate networks to two separate WAN connections.  The switch management IP is on Network1.  My data network is running through Network1, my voip phones are running through Network2.  The switch is able to handle broadcasting to both networks, and both networks are working pretty well with one minor exception.  My Network2 voip phones have some intermittent choppiness, and I want to see if I can add static routes to the switch to ensure that traffic for each network goes to the right router.  Both networks are running on VLAN1. I'd like to keep it that way, if possible.  How can I set up static routes on the this switch so that the VLAN1 traffic is directed properly between these two routers (Network1 and Network2)?

Model: GS752TPv2|48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 1 of 3
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Multinetting GS752TPv2

@CJHMm,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

The static routing on this switch is only per interface and not the whole VLAN itself. This switch does not support VRRP. I suggest you check out our fully manageable L3 switches that support this kind of setup.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Multinetting GS752TPv2

There are some limited routing functions within the GS752TPv2 that might be worth looking at before making the upgrade to the fully managed switch line. The VRRP may not be the configuration setup you are looking for.

You are mentioning the two networks are in the same VLAN. It is not practical to have separate networks within the same VLAN. It is typically recommended to have a different VLAN for each network when they are both hosted on the same switch.

One other item that you will need to be aware of is the router's configuration. There are two options, 1) the router is VLAN aware and the router could perform the routing or 2) the router is not VLAN aware and you will need a static route back to the switch to manage the intervlan routing.

Starting on page 292 goes over the VLAN routing interfaces:
https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS728TPv2/GS728TPv2_GS728TPPv2_GS752TPv2_GS752TPP_UM_EN....

There is a requirement to enable the routing in the global configuration which is covered on page 267.

You are mentioning there are two routers within the network. Do you have a different gateway for the VOIP from the data network?

If there are two gateways with two networks, a simple VLAN configuration to separate the two broadcast domains may help cleanup some of the chatter in the network.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements