× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR 8-Port PoE GS108PEv3 Software Question

switchbaby
Aspirant

NETGEAR 8-Port PoE GS108PEv3 Software Question

SO im new to switches, I work from a Macbook Pro

I only need to wire internet into 6 rooms. nothing complicated

but id like to be able to control the mb in each room if i need to (allocate more into one room)

i bought a 16 port TP link & it was "smart managed" 

It was giving me problems with the signal, not sure why but i couldnt access the software to get in, i tried through the terminal also but didnt make it

Does the GS108PE come with a managing softwsare?

I see a lot of videos on youtube but no one talks about how to access this software.

usually its an ip? right?

so my question is, just for internet & one survelience camera is GS108PE this a good piece?

and will i be able to access the software from my mac?

and i see that there is an app also? from hyour phone?

thank you

Model: GS108PEv3|ProSafe Gigabit Plus switch with PoE
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: NETGEAR 8-Port PoE GS108PEv3 Software Question

@switchbaby wrote:

I only need to wire internet into 6 rooms. nothing complicated

Excellent plan, the best investment for a network!

@switchbaby wrote:

but id like to be able to control the mb in each room if i need to (allocate more into one room)

Unclear what management features you are looking for here. 

On a port, you can connect either a single system/computer, or add a local switch for more ports in that room.

@switchbaby wrote:

i bought a 16 port TP link & it was "smart managed" 

It was giving me problems with the signal, not sure why but i couldnt access the software to get in, i tried through the terminal also but didnt make it

These other vendor model and Netgear Plus switches (formerly named Smart Managed Plus) share similar switch design and management.

When reading "problems with the signal" this tells my you need some basic information on how Ethernet is working today.

Up front, it's essential the cabling is fulfilling basic specs (at least CAT5A with four pairs/eight strands), correctly working, and the dedicated pairs must be crimped correct on the RJ45 ports.  When connecting Ethernet ports (switch, computer, whatever), a link is negotiated and established between the ports. This is what makes up the "signal" - each on a physical link. 

With these links established, say from a router LAN port to a switch to a room with your computer, L2 communication can be established. This does allow for example to run a computer or the switch microcontroller through the DHCP process (happens initially just after the link is established) so these devices get IP addresses from the LAN subnet as configured on the router, so L3 communication like TCP (or UDP) can be run, e.g. to reach the Internet, or local devices like the router, the switch. This is done typically by using a Web browser, or sometimes by certain specific utilities.

The TP switch and the Netgear switch you are looking for here offer both a local Web UI, plus some utility connectivity (with Netgear this is legacy, no longer supported, and typically not required anymore - few exceptions apply).

Netgear does also offer a Switch Discovery Tool allowing to locate the LAN IP addresses, within or outside of the same subnet. If the subnet does not match, of course the computer needs to be temporally reconfigured to an IP address in that other subnet to allow some L3 communication.

@switchbaby wrote:

Does the GS108PE come with a managing softwsare?

I see a lot of videos on youtube but no one talks about how to access this software.

usually its an ip? right?

The Netgear Plus and Smart Managed Switches can be located on the LAN by the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool (purely optional) or by the Netgear Insight App (iOS or Android, just discovery for non-cloud managed switches) so it's possible to open a Web browser connection by IP or by just clicking the device.

The legacy management software (Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility) is available for Windows only (same for the TP), and due to the design the network access is implemented (using a low level network link driver) it can be tricky to be run.  

@switchbaby wrote:

so my question is, just for internet & one survelience camera is GS108PE this a good piece?

A good starting point, allowing to drive eg. up to three surveillance cameras within the power budget (like three PoE 802.3af class 3 units, max 15.4w each, also for basic WiFi 6 APs like the WAX214). Higher WiFi 6 APs require PoE+ ports however.

@switchbaby wrote:

As shown before, the management is done using the Web UI and a Web browser.

@switchbaby wrote:

and i see that there is an app also? from hyour phone?

Only for discovery and presence testing, also shown before.

Message 2 of 4
switchbaby
Aspirant

As shown before, the management is done using the Web UI and a Web browser.

can you tell me how?

do i just open a browser on my mac and go to the ip address??

this is what im unsure of

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@switchbaby wrote:

do i just open a browser on my mac and go to the ip address??

Permitting the Mac and the switch are on the same IP subnetwork, yes.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements