× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear GS110TP - Error when trying to enabled SNMP v3 - Error: Failed to set Encryption Protocol

samersultan
Tutor

Netgear GS110TP - Error when trying to enabled SNMP v3 - Error: Failed to set Encryption Protocol

I am trying to configure SNMP v3 for two GS110TP (2nd Generation) switches both running latest firmware (5.4.2.36).

When selecting user configuration I get the following error:

Error: Failed to set Encryption Protocol. Cannot enable encryption, password is less than 8 characters.

II am selecting SHA / DES and an appropriate key, however it does not work. Any help would be appreciated.

netgear-error.png

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
samersultan
Tutor

Re: Netgear GS110TP - Error when trying to enabled SNMP v3 - Error: Failed to set Encryption Protoco

I figured this out in case some one has same issue.

The issue was the default admin account had a password less than 8 characters. The SNMP v3 admin credential  and the switch local admin password have to be greater than 8 characters for this to work.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
samersultan
Tutor

Re: Netgear GS110TP - Error when trying to enabled SNMP v3 - Error: Failed to set Encryption Protoco

Just a quick follow up, I was able to resolve this by doing a factory reset and wiping out my config. 

I'm not 100% sure what the root cause was, is any one else experiencing this issue?

Message 2 of 3
samersultan
Tutor

I figured this out in case some one has same issue.

The issue was the default admin account had a password less than 8 characters. The SNMP v3 admin credential  and the switch local admin password have to be greater than 8 characters for this to work.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements