× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear GS308E Managed Switch

TechBud13
Aspirant

Netgear GS308E Managed Switch

Hi, I want to set up mirroring of all traffic to a raspberry pi. From my understanding I need port mirroring to do this, that way I don't have to use the pi as the DNS. From what I can see or find my router doesn't have this option. 

From what I can tell this switch can do what I want, but from what I'm seeing in the instruction, you would have to tell what ports you want to mirror, like ethernet port 1, and 2. Then tell it what port to mirror all traffic to, say port 8. What I'm wondering:

Would this mean that WIFI traffic wouldn't be mirrored? Because I would want all traffic to go through that mirror.

I'm wondering if maybe I should find a router that has mirroring, this way it can mirror wifi traffic?

Thanks in advance!

Model: GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear GS308E Managed Switch

@TechBud13 wrote:

I'm wondering if maybe I should find a router that has mirroring, this way it can mirror wifi traffic?

Forget the WiFi on your router, and deploy dedicated wireless access point(s) - so all the LAN and WLAN traffc does flow over the switch. 

Message 2 of 3
TechBud13
Aspirant

Re: Netgear GS308E Managed Switch

I suppose I could do that, be more money, was looking to complete a project with a pi without that much spent. But it looks like I can put the switch in between the router and the modem, as long as the WLan is still connected to the router. not sure how I will access the management panel with that set up. But ordered it and will figure out what I can do to get my idea to work. Maybe go that route.

Thanks man!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements