× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear GS752TPv2 changed VLAN tagging after reboot.

Kurr
Tutor

Netgear GS752TPv2 changed VLAN tagging after reboot.

Good afternoon everyone!

I have a Netgear GS752TPv2 switch (version: 6.0.2.5) with a few VLANs:

• 11 - Administrative
  • 31 - VoIP
  • 101 - Public

While not on-site (don't you love when that happens), a contractor accidentally killed the power to this switch for a moment.  While the switch came back up, network access did not.  Cue panic mode from the client lol.

Long story short, I was able to find the issue being with my port 46 VLAN tagging.  This port goes to a NIC in our server and is set to T-11 and always has been.  However, after this reboot it changed over to U-11 causing all of this chaos.  What's weird is port 44 is the other NIC and it stayed T-11.

There are some Netgear switches that you make you save configuration changes, so I thought it was on me, but this one does not require that and auto-saves.

At this point I am very confused how this port changed its tagging.  Has anyone ever experienced this or know what might have happened?  I am prepared to eat crow all day, more worried about this happening again.

Thanks all!

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Any specific reason you continue to operate the switch on the obsolete v6.0.2.5 ? 

Message 2 of 6
Kurr
Tutor

I took over this site from a tech that got let go.  It was already in place, and I know I want to upgrade the FW.  Putting a plan in motion on doing this after hours as I'm sure it will factory reset the switch.  Thank you!

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

All the Release Notes are available on https://www.netgear.com/support/product/gs752tpv2/#download ... use the "View Previous Versions" for full reference. No word of a firmware update doing a factory reset. Still, the ubiquitous operational precautions apply (take full notices of the complete configurations, backup, backup, backup, ...) 

For certain versions, Netgear does recommend against downgrading the firmware image to 6.0.8.x or earlier version after updating to 6.0.9.1 or later versions.

I heard better excuses for not keeping things on a current firmware (and security level) before.

Message 4 of 6
Kurr
Tutor

Thank you for this information.

It is an excuse as I've only been managing this environment for 1 week, and do not believe in going gung-ho into a network.  Document first my friend 🙂

Message 5 of 6
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Kurr,

Welcome to the Community!

If the config has been saved, a sudden loss of power or reboot should not cause the port membership (tagging/untagging) at all. Could have been an isolated issue on your end. Have you considered scheduling downtime to see if the issue will persist by rebooting or powering off the unit?

Kind regards,

BrianL

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements