× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New VLAN deployment

jingo_man
Aspirant

New VLAN deployment

I have a single GS108Ev3 managed switch, that connect to 2x GS105v4 unmanaged switches. Every device is on the same network and can basically network each other and out to the ISP router. By default this puts all ports on VLAN1 I believe. The 2 smaller switches are in different rooms and may have TV’s, set top box devices or other might have another computer attached.

I would like to add some HDMI over IP converters and have a segregated video VLAN. How do I achieve this? If I enable port-based VLANs on big switch, how do I config specific ports on the smaller switches to route with this new VLAN? Or is it automatically handled?

would I need to replace existing switches? Or more complex?
Model: GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: New VLAN deployment

@jingo_man,

My broadband router is set to "cable modem only" mode. The R7000 WiFi router is the main network device currently, defining the simple LAN and the various port forwarding and other configs. I hope its VLAN-aware.

The R7000 is not a VLAN aware router.  The VLAN feature that the R7000 supports is designed just to separate WAN services provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).  As reference, kindly read the second-to-the last FAQ in the article below:

R7000 FAQs

With the configuration suggested in your linked article, would I need to change anything? Specifically, there will be devices on the "end" GS105 switches that need to be in different VLANs for my intended design (PCs = VLAN2, TVs = VLAN3). 

You will need a VLAN aware router such as the BR500 router (coming soon in the market).  Also, you may want to consider a NETGEAR smart switch such as the GS516TP that supports Auto-Video feature since you want a segregated video VLAN. 

Since the GS105v4 switches you have are unmanaged switches, I suggest not to implement it because there is no settings to tag VLANs such as VLAN2 for PCs and VLAN3 for TVs based from your intended design.  I suggest another smart switch. 

To know more about GS510TP switch, kindly access its data sheet here.  

To know more about the BR500 router, kindly access its data sheet here

For more information about Auto-Video feature on a NETGEAR Smart Switch, kindly read the articles below:

NETGEAR Support What is the Auto-Video feature on a smart switch?

How do I enable the Auto-Video feature on a smart switch?

If I assign GS108 ports to VLANS, wouldn't this put ALL connected devices to this switch onto the same VLAN?

You can configure ports as members of a particular VLAN.  For example: ports 2-4 set as members of VLAN 2 (for PCs) then ports 5-7 as members of VLAN 3 (for TVs) based from your intended design.  

Since I suggested using NETGEAR Smart switches, let me share the following articles below as reference on how its going to be configured: 

How do I set up one or more VLANs between a NETGEAR ProSAFE firewall and a smart switch?

How do I setup a VLAN trunk link between two NETGEAR switches?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @jingo_man,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

"I would like to add some HDMI over IP converters and have a segregated video VLAN. How do I achieve this?"

• You may create a VLAN for it.  Take note that the router where the GS108Ev3 switch is connected to should be VLAN aware.  Let me share the article below and use it as your reference guide:

How to configure VLANs on a ProSAFE Web Managed Plus Switch with shared access to the internet

"If I enable port-based VLANs on big switch, how do I config specific ports on the smaller switches to route with this new VLAN? Or is it automatically handled?"

• The GS105v4 switch is an unmanaged switch and therefore there is nothing to be configured. 

"would I need to replace existing switches? Or more complex?"

• If this network setup is just for small office/home use with very few users, I think you do not need to replace your existing devices.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
jingo_man
Aspirant

Thanks @DaneA for the explanation and links to guides.

I had assumed with a single managed switch the config would have been something like that.

Where I haven't seen alternate configs is for a scenario like mine that has additional [un]managed switches in the topology. I have taken a screenshot of a simplistic network overview.

My broadband router is set to "cable modem only" mode. The R7000 WiFi router is the main network device currently, defining the simple LAN and the various port forwarding and other configs. I hope its VLAN-aware.

The GS108Ev3 has most devices plugged into it, either end devices (PCs, TVs, home server device, etc) or other unmanaged switches.

With the configuration suggested in your linked article, would I need to change anything? Specifically, there will be devices on the "end" GS105 switches that need to be in different VLANs for my intended design (PCs = VLAN2, TVs = VLAN3). If I assign GS108 ports to VLANS, wouldn't this put ALL connected devices to this switch onto the same VLAN?

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jingo_man,

The R7000 is not a VLAN aware router.  The VLAN feature that the R7000 supports is designed just to separate WAN services provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).  As reference, kindly read the second-to-the last FAQ in the article below:

R7000 FAQs

With the configuration suggested in your linked article, would I need to change anything? Specifically, there will be devices on the "end" GS105 switches that need to be in different VLANs for my intended design (PCs = VLAN2, TVs = VLAN3). 

You will need a VLAN aware router such as the BR500 router (coming soon in the market).  Also, you may want to consider a NETGEAR smart switch such as the GS516TP that supports Auto-Video feature since you want a segregated video VLAN. 

Since the GS105v4 switches you have are unmanaged switches, I suggest not to implement it because there is no settings to tag VLANs such as VLAN2 for PCs and VLAN3 for TVs based from your intended design.  I suggest another smart switch. 

To know more about GS510TP switch, kindly access its data sheet here.  

To know more about the BR500 router, kindly access its data sheet here

For more information about Auto-Video feature on a NETGEAR Smart Switch, kindly read the articles below:

NETGEAR Support What is the Auto-Video feature on a smart switch?

How do I enable the Auto-Video feature on a smart switch?

If I assign GS108 ports to VLANS, wouldn't this put ALL connected devices to this switch onto the same VLAN?

You can configure ports as members of a particular VLAN.  For example: ports 2-4 set as members of VLAN 2 (for PCs) then ports 5-7 as members of VLAN 3 (for TVs) based from your intended design.  

Since I suggested using NETGEAR Smart switches, let me share the following articles below as reference on how its going to be configured: 

How do I set up one or more VLANs between a NETGEAR ProSAFE firewall and a smart switch?

How do I setup a VLAN trunk link between two NETGEAR switches?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements