× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Office Network Switch - Individual

GaACETech
Tutor

Office Network Switch - Individual

Current Switches:  Count:2 of GS716Tv2

We want to put managed printers in 5 offices.  That is the printer consumables is managed from the web by our printer supply company.   The printer output can be 500 sheets per day per office (that a max number).

Instead of running another ethernet cable to each office (which is very problematic in getting access to these offices) can I put a 5 port unmanaged switch in each office?   These would not be daisy chained but will be a port off the managed switch.  I'm not for putting switches other than the network room but this is a special situation.   The reason I ask in that a number of our offices have 2 port switches for the phone and computer tie-in.  So is this any different?

Thanks.

Drryl

Model: GS305v3|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, GS716Tv2|16 ports ProSafe Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Office Network Switch - Individual

If you are fine with just Gigabit Ethernet from the core, and instead of a set of non-managed switches (undoubted doing the job) I would look into some Smart Managed Pro models, if adding PoE/PoE+ powered VoIP phones and some wireless access points are in the scope, choose accordingly - for example a GC108P or GC108PP.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements