× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Offline Registration Key

jsit
Guide

Offline Registration Key

Just purchased a GS110TPv3 switch and am in the process of initially configuring it offline. Now I need a registration key. I registered it in the mynetgear.com site, but dont see a registration key there. See attached image.

I dont want to connect this switch to the internet. How do I obtain the registration key so I can activate all the features???

Model: GS110TP|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit PoE smart switch
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
DanielZhang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @jsit ,

Sorry about the experience on activation key of my.netgear.com.

And this probably issue of my.netgear.com is under analysis , we will update to you while get feedback from developer team.

Otherwise, I have a workaround to get activation key for you.

I will take about 5 minutes for you and No need to connect switch with Internet.

Please reference following step to get the key, it's free to get this workaround works.

1.  Install NETGEAR insight application from iOS App Store,

or from Android Google play store.

2.  Login with NETGEAR account which registered this switch GS110TPv3.

3.  After login with NETGEAR account successful.

Please click on the switch name under "My Other NETGEAR Products"

4.  Please click on the button of "Registation Key".After insight load the screen of device.

5.  You will find the Registation Key(activation key)for your device GS110TPv3.

6.  Please remember this key and keep it private not share to others.

Then Input the Key on Switch Local GUI to unlock all GUI functionality.

7.  Enjoy with GS110TPv3. 

Here is screenshot of my locally verification.

Hope it works for you.

insight_1.pnginsight-2.pnginsight-3.png

Thanks,

Daniel.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The "click here to learn how to get the registration key" is of no help?

Not sure what the point is for not allowing the switch for a temporary Internet access to registration and update can be run. But curious because we operate switches from this class in environments (and areas) where no Internet is availabe at all - and we're concerned what will happen when we have to do a factory reset one day...

@YeZ can you please shed some light here please?

Message 2 of 19
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jsit,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I dont want to connect this switch to the internet. How do I obtain the registration key so I can activate all the features???

I advise you to open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime.  Kindly state your concern or you may provide the link to this forum thread.  Be sure that your contact number is indicated in your MyNETGEAR account.  A registration key will be requested to be generated and it will be provided to you.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 19
jsit
Guide

Allow me to respond to both responses.

• This only started occuring when I updated the firmware to the most recent version availabile right now, 7.0.2.4. Before that we had full access to all features. After is when it started forcing a registration key requirement.
  • I have chatted with Netgear support for over an hour. They insisted connecting the switch to the internet was the only way to proceed and could not explain if I had to connect to the internet what the purpose of the Registration Key for offline activation was, or how to obtain it. Thus, my frustrated post on these forums.

Message 4 of 19
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jsit,

Got an update from the higher tier of NETGEAR Support that a new firmware will be released soon (no ETA yet) that will address this issue. I will post further details here as soon as I got updates.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 5 of 19
jsit
Guide

So just to confirm, as of right now--at this current time, is there no availability of a obtaining a "registration key" to unlock the device functionality offline??

This is really frustrating. I've even have taken the switch home (which im really not supposed to do) to connect it to the internet (as directed by Netgear Support) and it doesn't even show up in Insight. Additionally I had to sign up for a trial of Insight cloud management just to get into the area where device management is. I get Negear's desire to move device management to the cloud and then charge a subscription fee for cloud management--on top of the cost already paid for the switch itself, but having a reliable way to access the full feature set offline is super critial. So now I have 12 of these switches that I can't even use. Will probably be returning them at this point. Not worth the hassle.

Message 6 of 19
schumaku
Guru

@DaneA wrote:

Got an update from the higher tier of NETGEAR Support that a new firmware will be released soon (no ETA yet) that will address this issue. 

Not sure on how a switch not able to reach the Internet can magically check the MyNetgear registration or fetch the required registration key automatically by a firmware update, isn't it? 

The problem with the registration key must be addressed in Negear's support processes, and the ability to request the key required must be available direct to the user, without going over Netgear's support channel.

Message 7 of 19
schumaku
Guru

@jsit wrote:

I've even have taken the switch home (which im really not supposed to do) to connect it to the internet (as directed by Netgear Support) and it doesn't even show up in Insight.

Have none of this series at hand for a scratch test, anyway the business products should be discoverable and becoming listed under Insight Manageable Devices - and Unclaimed. This might be the issue they intend to fix, but I'm not sure.

@jsit wrote:

Additionally I had to sign up for a trial of Insight cloud management just to get into the area where device management is. 

For discovery and registration, even for the free Insight Basic (three devices if I have it right), there is "just" the Netgear account required.

Anytjing following the registration is optional - the devices don't have to be claimed into Insight manageent. This would require to "remove" them, because of the local management is again restricted in Insight management mode (at least for swiches and APs).

I still like to hear from @YeZ on these issues here.

Message 8 of 19
IphieChen
NETGEAR Expert

@jsit wrote:

So just to confirm, as of right now--at this current time, is there no availability of a obtaining a "registration key" to unlock the device functionality offline??

This is really frustrating. I've even have taken the switch home (which im really not supposed to do) to connect it to the internet (as directed by Netgear Support) and it doesn't even show up in Insight. Additionally I had to sign up for a trial of Insight cloud management just to get into the area where device management is. I get Negear's desire to move device management to the cloud and then charge a subscription fee for cloud management--on top of the cost already paid for the switch itself, but having a reliable way to access the full feature set offline is super critial. So now I have 12 of these switches that I can't even use. Will probably be returning them at this point. Not worth the hassle.

Hi @jsit 

Thanks for choosing NETGEAR products and providing feedback.

Sorry for the inconvenience when you try to access device functionality offiline. We understand the frustration caused to you from our Smart Pro switches. So we are going to release a new firmware to enable "registration key" to all the Smart Pro switches with Insight Cloud/Remote Management on December 14.

Please stay tuned for the firmware release and use the "registration key" to access device management interface after registering the product.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Iphie Chen

Message 9 of 19
schumaku
Guru

Hello @IphieChen 

Can you please clarifiy the registration process?

@IphieChen wrote: 

Sorry for the inconvenience when you try to access device functionality offiline. We understand the frustration caused to you from our Smart Pro switches. So we are going to release a new firmware to enable "registration key" to all the Smart Pro switches with Insight Cloud/Remote Management on December 14.

We understand that all these switches get the local Web UI control allowing entering the Registration Key. That far, that good.

@IphieChen wrote: 

Please stay tuned for the firmware release and use the "registration key" to access device management interface after registering the product.

So can we retrieve this Registration Key from the registered products list on our Negear account then, too?

TIA,

-Kurt

Message 10 of 19
jsit
Guide

@ schumaku 

Kurt, this is exactly what I would have thought too. I registered my device in our MyNetgear account, it shows up, but when I click it to view details I would habe thought the registration key would be available there, but as everyone can see, its clearly not.

So, when you access the device management site, it tells you to register the device to obtain the offline registration key. So thn you register the device but aren't given a registration key! This is ridiculous...

netgear2.JPG

myproducts1.JPGmproducts2.JPGSo, when 

Message 11 of 19
schumaku
Guru

So for now we can assume the 14. December is the change date for the Netgear cloud, too.

Message 12 of 19
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jsit,

Good day! Smiley Happy  Just want to follow-up on your concern.  

The GS110TPv3 firmware v7.0.2.5 was recently released.  Were you able to update the firmware of your GS110TPv3 switch?  If yes, were you able to get the offline registration key? 

If ever you are not able to get the offline registration key, kindly follow-up with NETGEAR Support using the same case number that was provided to you for further assistance.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 19
schumaku
Guru

@DaneA wrote:

If yes, were you able to get the offline registration key? 

If ever you are not able to get the offline registration key, kindly follow-up with NETGEAR Support using the same case number that was provided to you for further assistance.

@DaneA for the non-educated reader of this thread - would you please mind where and how network admins can get the offline registration key exactly?

Message 14 of 19
jsit
Guide

@DaneA 

No, the issue has NOT been resolved. I updated the device firmware to 7.0.25. No changes to the device registration key requirement.

I logged into our MyNetgear portal and now see a new button for "View Registration Key". However, when I click it I receive an error message stating "Selected product doesnt support offline registration".

Images inserted below.

Can you assist?

netgear4_LI.jpgnetgear5.JPG

Message 15 of 19
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

We will look into the MyNETGEAR site issue. At the same time, can you try to get the Registration Key from Insight Manager the mobile app? The new Insight app should support it too.

Thank you.

Message 16 of 19
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

As @YeZ suggested, can you try with the Insight mobile app to verify if the product registeration key appears? If the issue still persists, can you send me a private message with the serial number of the switch and I can review further on my end.

Message 17 of 19
DanielZhang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @jsit ,

Sorry about the experience on activation key of my.netgear.com.

And this probably issue of my.netgear.com is under analysis , we will update to you while get feedback from developer team.

Otherwise, I have a workaround to get activation key for you.

I will take about 5 minutes for you and No need to connect switch with Internet.

Please reference following step to get the key, it's free to get this workaround works.

1.  Install NETGEAR insight application from iOS App Store,

or from Android Google play store.

2.  Login with NETGEAR account which registered this switch GS110TPv3.

3.  After login with NETGEAR account successful.

Please click on the switch name under "My Other NETGEAR Products"

4.  Please click on the button of "Registation Key".After insight load the screen of device.

5.  You will find the Registation Key(activation key)for your device GS110TPv3.

6.  Please remember this key and keep it private not share to others.

Then Input the Key on Switch Local GUI to unlock all GUI functionality.

7.  Enjoy with GS110TPv3. 

Here is screenshot of my locally verification.

Hope it works for you.

insight_1.pnginsight-2.pnginsight-3.png

Thanks,

Daniel.

Message 18 of 19
jsit
Guide

@DanielZhang 

Thank you for the follow up. I have followed your work around to successfully retrieve the registration key and used it to offline unlock my device. Hope the mynetgear web interface is fixed soon, but using the app is a viable work around for now.

Thank you for your assistance!

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements