Reply

Re: PVID Configuration Page - VLAN Member vs VLAN Tag

AgBack
Aspirant

PVID Configuration Page - VLAN Member vs VLAN Tag

Two "new" entry blocks (the manual provides no discussion/reason for or example of proper configuration) on the "Port PVID Configuration" page allow for id'd VLANs to be added for VLAN Membership and VLAN Tag.  I'm looking for clarification on what each drop down menu provides for.  I'm assuming the "Membership" adds the VLANs selected to that ports broadcast, but does the VLAN Tag menu allow for tagged frames to pass through/out of that port with their tags intact? Would it be safe to assume this is only primarily necessary for the port connected to the DHCP Server so the switch is able to pass the frame to the appropriate VLAN port(s)?PVID Config.gif

Model: GS716Tv3|ProSafe 16 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: PVID Configuration Page - VLAN Member vs VLAN Tag

Tried the amber (?) to the right side of the table on "PVID Configuration Page" title already?

 

In a plain 802.1q VLAN environment, only one VLAN can be untagged (making frames flowing out of the switch from this VLAN be untagged), the PVID does define the [single] VLAN where frames flowing into the switch are assigned to. 

Message 2 of 5
AgBack
Aspirant

Re: PVID Configuration Page - VLAN Member vs VLAN Tag

Schumaku - thank you for the prompt response, but I'm not following you.  Have I tried what to the right side of the table?

 

So the purpose of the "VLAN Tag" column on the "Port PVID Configuration" page of the web gui is to retag frames leaving that port?  If left blank all frames leaving the port would be untagged?

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: PVID Configuration Page - VLAN Member vs VLAN Tag


@AgBack wrote:

... but I'm not following you.  Have I tried what to the right side of the table?



@AgBack wrote:

Two "new" entry blocks (the manual provides no discussion/reason for or example of proper configuration) on the "Port PVID Configuration" page allow for id'd VLANs to be added for VLAN Membership and VLAN Tag.  I'm looking for clarification on what each drop down menu provides for.

There ia an on-line help which is more informative on every config page - very useful:

 

pvid config help.PNG

 


@AgBack wrote:

So the purpose of the "VLAN Tag" column on the "Port PVID Configuration" page of the web gui is to retag frames leaving that port?  If left blank all frames leaving the port would be untagged?


No, then there won't be no frames flowing out - the port won't be a member of a VLAN.

 

Look, I do admit the example shown in the documentaiton is misleading at least, if not worse ... The usual difference between the "VLAN Member" and the "VLAN Tag" should be essentially the one VLAN run on a port untagged, and that is also what the PVID is set to. A more useful example would be smething like this:

 

g1 PVID 1 VLAN Member 1,5,10,20,30,40,60 VLAN Tag 5,10,20,30,40,60    <<<< VLAN 1 untaged, all other tagged

g2 PVID 5 VLAN Member 1,5,10,20,30,40,60 VLAN Tag 1,10,20,30,40,60    <<<< VLAN 5 untaged, all other tagged 

g3 PVID 30 VLAN Member 1,5,30 VLAN Tag 1,5     <<<< VLAN 30 untaged, all other tagged

 

The better view for configuring the tagged and untagged VLAN membership would be (you guessed it) the config under "VLAN Membership".

 

Message 4 of 5
AgBack
Aspirant

Re: PVID Configuration Page - VLAN Member vs VLAN Tag

Thanks for your patience and taking the time to further explain.  Your examples explained what I suspected - we just have different means of explanation.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 899 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements