× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

(Possible) Bug: NSDP running amok on XS716T

toku99
Aspirant

(Possible) Bug: NSDP running amok on XS716T

(This is already available as https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Business/Possible-Bug-NSDP-running-amok/idc-p/200... but I was advised to replicate it here because it seems that topics at the Idea Exchange aren’t very visible.)

My company recently purchased an XS716T. While configuring it I stumbled over a problem regarding NSDP (“Netgear Switch Discovery Protocol”, I suppose?):

The syslog is spammed once a second with the following pair of messages:

<11> Nov 6 18:41:28 sw-a-14.cb.switches-1 General[nsdpTask]: nsdp_control.c(1777) 6216407 %% NSDP could not create the socket - No such file or directory
<11> Nov 6 18:41:28 sw-a-14.cb.switches-1 General[nsdpTask]: nsdp_control.c(1510) 6216406 %% osapiSocketBind failed - Address already in use 

Also there is an nsdp process which hogs the CPU:

CPU Utilization:

PID Name 5 Secs 60 Secs 300 Secs
---------- ------------------- -------- -------- --------

1270 (nsdp) 81.48% 85.63% 85.33%

(The actual values sometimes go down to ca. 75% or up to ca. 95%).

While the log messages are only annoying, the worst they can do is possibly hiding a messages that would actually be interesting, and filling the disk of our remote receiver of the syslog messages.

However, I’m concerned about the CPU utilization. If one process occupies so much CPU time, other processes may starve, and the high utilization may cause higher CPU temperature, and thus possibly reduce the life time of the CPU or the fans (and therefore the switch).

The firmware is 7.0.0.20 (current at the time of writing).

Any input from the Netgear engineering department about what’s going on here, and whether this is expected behaviour?

Do other community members experienced something similar?

PS: Thanks to @schumaku for all the suggestions so far 🙇

PPS: I have chatted to Netgear support (case 43698796) and sent them the TroubleShooting export file, which they will pass up the food support chain.

Model: XS716T|16-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper/SFP+ Combo Ports
Message 1 of 2
toku99
Aspirant

Re: (Possible) Bug: NSDP running amok on XS716T

Today I wanted to check whether the problem has to do with the firmware. So  I rebooted the switch into its second image, which still had the original firmware version (6.6.3.5). There the problematic process (nsdp) didn’t even run. The total CPU utilization was around 10% – 12%.

I then rebooted the switch back into the first image with the new firmware (7.0.0.20), which I had installed soon after we purchased the switch and before I did anything else. And now, after the reboot, there’s no nsdp process, and CPU utilization lies between 10% and 12%, just as with 6.6.3.5.

So basically it seems that a simple reboot sufficed to stop nsdp, and bring the CPU utilization to a normal level. It’s not even clear whether the  problem is also present in the older firmware version. I suppose I have to regularly check the CPU utilization (Nagios and SNMP should do the trick), but I don’t like the idea that I have to restart the switch to make the problem disappear.

Model: XS716T|16-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper/SFP+ Combo Ports
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements