× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ProSafe GS108PEv3 firmware nightmare

kcmjr
Initiate

ProSafe GS108PEv3 firmware nightmare

I've been reading the various posts here regarding the ProSafe GS108PEv3 and the issues so many users seem to be having with firmware upgrades.  My company (a hospital) just took ownership of a private clinic and as a result because the proud owner of a new bouncing baby GS108PEv3 that was being used on the clinic badge access system.  As part of the network retrofit we were attempting to bring the firmware up to current levels and ran face first into the firmware upgrade bug. 

I was wondering if anyone with one of these ever found a truly viable solution to bringing a bricked switch back to life.  I've tried the 30/5/5 reset, the ProSafe utility from an old PC, and every other suggestion I was able to find here to no avail.  This darn thing simply will not accept new firmware or revert back to non-maintenance mode.

Normally I would just e-waste it and go on with my life but it's irritated me so much that I wanted to try one last time to resurrect the thing.  Anyone ever find any JTAG pinout info or another combination of reset button/power/etc options?

I even contacted tech support to see if we could just get a replacement since it seems they have a lifetime warranty.  Problem is since we "acquired" it and are not the original purchaser we don't seem to qualify for the replacement.  So unless someone has some magic solution to suggest I'll either set it aside for now or just send the thing to e-waste.

Thanks in advance...

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
kcmjr
Initiate

Re: ProSafe GS108PEv3 firmware nightmare

Surprise of all surprises.  Just after posting my original comment I had a wild idea to try going all the way back to the initial firmware release.  I did that using Internet Explorer on a Windows 7 PC and amazingly the firmware flashed successfully.  I'm now back into the configuration, still using the 192.168.0.239 IP address.

Once back in I was able to successfully flash the v2.00.12 firmware.  Once that worked I was able to flash up to the 2.06.16 version.

So far so good.  We'll see how things go.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
kcmjr
Initiate

Re: ProSafe GS108PEv3 firmware nightmare

Surprise of all surprises.  Just after posting my original comment I had a wild idea to try going all the way back to the initial firmware release.  I did that using Internet Explorer on a Windows 7 PC and amazingly the firmware flashed successfully.  I'm now back into the configuration, still using the 192.168.0.239 IP address.

Once back in I was able to successfully flash the v2.00.12 firmware.  Once that worked I was able to flash up to the 2.06.16 version.

So far so good.  We'll see how things go.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements