× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ProSafe GS752TPS SFP/SFP+ Compatability

ntorres
Follower

ProSafe GS752TPS SFP/SFP+ Compatability

I purchased a Meraki MX64 Firewall and was wondering if a Cisco Meraki 10 GbE SFP+ will work in the Netgear Fiber port.  I can also purchase a 1G SX Multimode SFP Module that will work with Meraki.  I love my ProSafe switches and would like to keep using them with our Meraki appliances.  

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: ProSafe GS752TPS SFP/SFP+ Compatability

When I have it right the GS752TPS came with two SFP slots to support 1 G optical module (uplink) or 2.5 G stacking, two combo ports (copper ports and SFP) module, and two dedicated SFP slots. So no SFP+ and therefore no 10 GbE. 

When I have it right, this switch generation does not require vendor specific SFP IDs, so any SFP module are accepted. Be aware that not all SFP+ (10 G) modules can operate at SFP (1 G), so using a 10 G SFP+ module might or might not work.

@ntorres wrote:

I purchased a Meraki MX64 Firewall and was wondering if a Cisco Meraki 10 GbE SFP+ will work in the Netgear Fiber port.  I can also purchase a 1G SX Multimode SFP Module that will work with Meraki.  

Combining one SFP+ (10 G) with an SFP (1 G) does commonly not work on fiber or DAC, because neither the SFP/SFP+ nor the fiber link does allow any speed negotiation - links will never come up to a working condition. Install SFP (1 G) modules with the similar fiber technology on both ends should to the job.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: ProSafe GS752TPS SFP/SFP+ Compatability

When I have it right the GS752TPS came with two SFP slots to support 1 G optical module (uplink) or 2.5 G stacking, two combo ports (copper ports and SFP) module, and two dedicated SFP slots. So no SFP+ and therefore no 10 GbE. 

When I have it right, this switch generation does not require vendor specific SFP IDs, so any SFP module are accepted. Be aware that not all SFP+ (10 G) modules can operate at SFP (1 G), so using a 10 G SFP+ module might or might not work.

@ntorres wrote:

I purchased a Meraki MX64 Firewall and was wondering if a Cisco Meraki 10 GbE SFP+ will work in the Netgear Fiber port.  I can also purchase a 1G SX Multimode SFP Module that will work with Meraki.  

Combining one SFP+ (10 G) with an SFP (1 G) does commonly not work on fiber or DAC, because neither the SFP/SFP+ nor the fiber link does allow any speed negotiation - links will never come up to a working condition. Install SFP (1 G) modules with the similar fiber technology on both ends should to the job.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements