× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ProSafe Plus Downspeeding Ports on its own

clarkmtc
Tutor

ProSafe Plus Downspeeding Ports on its own

Hi, I recently purchased the subject matter smart switch in the model info line.  I love the switch and it compliments my Nighthawk router 9000 very well alongside a Synology 5 disk array.  I love the ability to use link aggregation between the boxes, etc...I have run in to one snag, however that I cant seem to get past.  I have fiber running to my building 500/500 (KT Telekom Korea) that tests through OOKLA to several sites at 500/500 from the modem clean and from the 9000.  Several times I have even gotten 500/500 at the client level, which is what I should get (I am not using QOS / throttling), but the last week, ports are automatically decellerated / downsped to 100mb (exactly), every day, without having set it up.  Workstations no longer get the full 500 up down, but peak at 100.  If I throw my old Netgear "dumb" switch on the 9000, I get full 500/500 again to all clients.  The switch is pretty much OOB / default setup, other than the LAG ports I use for the NAS, so not sure whats causing the downspeeding.  I dont want that.

Ideas?  What did I miss?

Mike in Korea

Model: JGS524Ev2|ProSafe Plus 24 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
clarkmtc
Tutor

Re: ProSafe Plus Downspeeding Ports on its own

Factory reset, unfortunately, didn't change the downspeeding, in fact, it shed light on something else.  Recently, I had purchased some very nive (so i thought) category 7, braided ethernet cables from Amazon, 1, 3 and 8 meters.  I wanted to use the best cable possible for my main workstation, NAS, port aggregation between switch / NAS.  What I found was, by chance, when I switched from the "high end" CAT7, braided cable, back to normal CAT5/6 at the PC or at the NAS, everything immediately shot back up from 90-100mb cap to 490-500mb, as it should be.  Strangest thing I have ever seen.  I did not think CAT7 cable would cause this and I tries several different lengths and pre-cut sizes, same 100mb cap.  No idea why it does that, but it does.  Perhaps some kind of pair mismatch with the internal house wiring / ports on the switch, etc....

So, these are the cables that slowed me down: Cat7 Ethernet Cable 3 ft, Cat 7 RJ45 LAN Network Cable High Speed Durable Nylon Braid STP with Gold ...

Anyway, Im back up and flying @ 500mbps with standard CAT5.  Who'd have thought.

Mike

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi clarkmtc,

Welcome to our community!

We may need to have a little workaround here. You may upgrade the firmware to its latest version first and reset it to factory default. Then connect the switch without any configuration.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@clarkmtc,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread. Please let us know if everything works ok now or you still need further assistance.

Regards,

Message 3 of 5
clarkmtc
Tutor

Factory reset, unfortunately, didn't change the downspeeding, in fact, it shed light on something else.  Recently, I had purchased some very nive (so i thought) category 7, braided ethernet cables from Amazon, 1, 3 and 8 meters.  I wanted to use the best cable possible for my main workstation, NAS, port aggregation between switch / NAS.  What I found was, by chance, when I switched from the "high end" CAT7, braided cable, back to normal CAT5/6 at the PC or at the NAS, everything immediately shot back up from 90-100mb cap to 490-500mb, as it should be.  Strangest thing I have ever seen.  I did not think CAT7 cable would cause this and I tries several different lengths and pre-cut sizes, same 100mb cap.  No idea why it does that, but it does.  Perhaps some kind of pair mismatch with the internal house wiring / ports on the switch, etc....

So, these are the cables that slowed me down: Cat7 Ethernet Cable 3 ft, Cat 7 RJ45 LAN Network Cable High Speed Durable Nylon Braid STP with Gold ...

Anyway, Im back up and flying @ 500mbps with standard CAT5.  Who'd have thought.

Mike

Message 4 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@clarkmtc,

Thanks for sharing that here in our community! Isolating the cables did resolved your issue.

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements