× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ProSafe XS508M losing connectivity between laptop and router after rebooting router

natiya
Aspirant

ProSafe XS508M losing connectivity between laptop and router after rebooting router

Hi there,

I have a switch ProSafe XS508M and my router and ubuntu server are connected through it.

The network interface configuration of the server has two IP address: LAN and WAN ip addresses, so they are two different IP networks.

I tried this with different routers: after rebooting the router a couple of times, I loose connection between the server and the router and the only solution I found is to power cycle the switch.

I'm not sure how to debug this issue, any idea would be appreciate.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: ProSafe XS508M losing connectivity between laptop and router after rebooting router

WAN and LAN subnets are connecting on the same unmanaged, non-VLAN capable XS508M?

Tell us more about the Ubuntu server (you say it has two IP addresses, LAN and WAN), regardless there is also yet another router connected. 

Message 2 of 5
natiya
Aspirant

Re: ProSafe XS508M losing connectivity between laptop and router after rebooting router

Thanks for your comments @schumaku . We have this:

1. server interface: IP WAN (172.23.8.141) and IP LAN (192.168.1.4) to swicth both in the same physical interface
  2. switch to router (and the router IP is 192.168.1.1)
  3. The server has two other interfaces, each of them goes to a different switch with a different network IP,so these are independent of the router and Netgear switch.
  4. The router does NAT so this is why we have the WAN+LAN connection to the server.
  5. The switch has has two more devices connected in the same LAN IP network (192.168.1.X) as the router (and Netgear switch)

Then the issue is: if we reboot the router, we loose connectivity between the server (192.168.1.4) and the router (192.168.1.1) and the only way we found to fix this was rebooting (power cycling) the Netgear switch.

Do you know how we could debug/troubleshoot this? Or maybe any of the the points of the list are incorrect?

Thanks a lot!!

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Ok, I don't like to promote such a design with two different security zones on the same network, without any seggregation.

I

@natiya wrote:

Then the issue is: if we reboot the router, we loose connectivity between the server (192.168.1.4) and the router (192.168.1.1) and the only way we found to fix this was rebooting (power cycling) the Netgear switch.

This reads like a "simple" L2+ issue where eg. the ARP resolution does not work for whatever reason. Hard to imagine the switch would block anything in this part of the networking business.

Message 4 of 5
natiya
Aspirant

thanks @schumaku . So you mean there is an issue with the ARP resoluion on the server, right? How could we check this?

I mean, should we capture the packets on that server's interface when we loose the connection? Will we see anything? Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements