× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replaced GS724Tv4 with GS728TXP and AirPrint Will No Longer Work

cwagz
Star

Replaced GS724Tv4 with GS728TXP and AirPrint Will No Longer Work

Hi,

I had a working configuration with IGMP snooping enabled per directions found in the forum. All mdns functions on the network were working. Yesterday I replaced my GS724Tv4 with a GS728TXP running firmware 6.6.4.28.

I configured IGMP Snooping, Querier and router as I have always. Airprint is no longer working on wired printers connected to this switch.

I have 3 WAC510 Access points connected to a MS510TXUP. The MS510TXUP is connected via SFP+ to the GS728TXP. The network is configured just like I had it when AirPrint was working the only change is the GS724Tv4 was replaced with a GS728TXP.

Is there an issue with IGMP snooping on the GS728TXP and current firmware?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
cwagz
Star

Quick update. I was provided with a pre-release firmware for testing. The firmware fixes the issue I was encountering. I assume it will be released publicly soon.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
cwagz
Star

Just a quick follow-up.

Disabling IGMP snooping status on just the GS728TXP immediately brings the printer back on AirPrint. No changes needed on the other switches or wireless access points that I am using to print through.

Message 2 of 9
cwagz
Star

I found this as a known issue for the GC728XP:

• When either the IGMP or MLD snooping is enabled on a VLAN or globally, unknown multicast packets will be dropped for both IPv4 and IPv6.
    Workaround: Disable both IGMP snooping and MLD snooping.

This sounds very much like what I am experiencing. These switches look very similar from a feature standpoint. Can someone at NETGEAR confirm if this will be fixed? I submitted a ticket as well.

Thanks,

Chad

Message 3 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@cwagz,

Since you have already opened a support ticket with the NETGEAR Support Team about your concern, it would be best to wait for their response.  You may want to share here the progress of your support ticket as well.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 9
cwagz
Star

@DaneA ,

Thanks for the response. I haven't heard back on my ticket yet. I did try a factory reset on every switch in my network and still experience the same issue. All mDNS / Bonjour traffic is blocked for everything connected to the GS728TXP as soon as IGMP snooping is turned on.

I will post back with what the resolution is once I hear from NETGEAR.

Message 5 of 9
cwagz
Star

Following up. They are moving this to Level 3 support but I need to provide packet traces of the problem happening and not happening.

Is this the correct way to proceed?

• Connect laptop with Wireshark to a port on the switch
  • enable port mirroring between the port my printer is connected to and the laptop
  • enable IGMP snooping
  • start the packet capture on the laptop
  • attempt to print a document via AirPrint from my iPhone
  • scan network from iPhone for all mDNS / Bonjour services
  • save this recording
  • repeat with IGMP snooping disabled

Thanks!

Message 6 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@cwagz,

Yes, its correct.  On your GS728TXP, select the port where the printer is directly connected as the source port. Then, select another port on the GS728TXP as the destination port on the GS728TXP where a PC (with Wireshark installed in it) is directly connected. Enable IGMP snooping.  Then, print a document via AirPrint from your iPhone. Run Wireshark while you print a document via AirPrint from your iPhone.  Do the same steps with IGMP Snooping disabled.

You may want to also verify this to the NETGEAR Expert handling your support ticket number in order to be sure since he/she will be escalating it to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support to avoid errors. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 9
cwagz
Star

Thanks Dane - I got the traces uploaded and the L3 tech said he is working on it.

Message 8 of 9
cwagz
Star

Quick update. I was provided with a pre-release firmware for testing. The firmware fixes the issue I was encountering. I assume it will be released publicly soon.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements