× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

S350 Smart Switches (GS348T) with NETGEAR Compatible 1000BASE-BX BiDi SFP?

koeber
Tutor

S350 Smart Switches (GS348T) with NETGEAR Compatible 1000BASE-BX BiDi SFP?

Dear Community,

can anyone confirm please if the NETGEAR Compatible 1000BASE-BX BiDi SFP can operate with S350 Smart Switches (GS348T)?

I got in that Switch Log the following after inserting that type of SFP:

Sep 14 15:10:08 Switch-GS348T-S350-1 DRIVER[boxs_Req]: hpcsfp.c(2413) 4496083 %% INFO Invalid Transceiver present in 0/49 (slot/port).compliance: 0x

Is the S350 Smart Switches not able to work with 1000BASE-BX SFPs in general?

My Switch model:

Model GS348T 

Boot-Version B1.0.0.6
Softwareversion1.0.0.33

Kindly regards
Christopher Köber

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
koeber
Tutor

Re: S350 Smart Switches (GS348T) with NETGEAR Compatible 1000BASE-BX BiDi SFP?

Hi,

I got in the meantime  from FS.com support (Customer Support: +49 (0) 8165 8090 517) an generic compatible BiDi Modul #75335 

This has another coding and works with the GS348T Switch.

Here the technical support output of my GS348T Switch with inserted SFP-GE-BX BiDi Modul #75335:

*************** show fiber-ports optics-info all ***************

Link   Link                                    Nominal
                          Length Length                                    Bit                                       Possible 
                           50um  62.5um                                   Rate                                        Speed   
Port        Vendor Name    [m]    [m]    Serial Number    Part Number     [Mbps]  Rev     Compliance     Supported   Detected 
-------- ---------------- ------ ------ ---------------- ---------------- ------- ---- ---------------- ------------ ---------
g49      FS               0      0      S2001345774      SFP-GE-BX           1300      1000BX10                 Yes       1G

*************** show fiber-ports optics all ***************

Output   Input
Port    Physical Port/  Temp  Voltage  Current   Power    Power     TX     LOS  Fault
        Lane Number     [C]   [Volt]     [mA]    [dBm]    [dBm]     Fault       Status
------  --------------  ----  -------  -------   -------  -------   -----  ---  -------------
g49     g49-Lane1       47.4    3.270     17.7    -5.314  -40.000   No     Yes  Local Fault

View solution in original post

Model: GS348T|NETGEAR® S350 Series 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports
Message 5 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Netgear does not offer any BiDi modules, so "Netgear compatible" relates to SFP (or SFP+) modules with a Netgear vendor and some "fake" model number in the flash.

It's well possible that certain specific features and specialities might not work, because Netgear does not offer such modules, and doesn't test such modules. I remeber some models where for example copper Ethernet modules were not workable, because the switches had not been specified and tested accordingly.

Message 2 of 6
koeber
Tutor

Hi schumaku,

it looks like SFP-BiDi, 1000BASE-BX Single LC SFPs are working in M4300-96x switches, see here 
But not in GS348T.

Is there anything that I can do to get this working too?

Model: GS348T|NETGEAR® S350 Series 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports
Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Lack of a shell access, we customers don't have much options here. Sometimes some fiber module details are visible in the diagnostics file.

Trouble is that either way Netgear does not support these module types, not even any equivalent Netgear models. Tomorrow, with the next update, what appears to works today can fail any time.

The only chance is that Netgear does pick up this issue, and does spend time and effort on it. @YeZ please.

Message 4 of 6
koeber
Tutor

Hi,

I got in the meantime  from FS.com support (Customer Support: +49 (0) 8165 8090 517) an generic compatible BiDi Modul #75335 

This has another coding and works with the GS348T Switch.

Here the technical support output of my GS348T Switch with inserted SFP-GE-BX BiDi Modul #75335:

*************** show fiber-ports optics-info all ***************

Link   Link                                    Nominal
                          Length Length                                    Bit                                       Possible 
                           50um  62.5um                                   Rate                                        Speed   
Port        Vendor Name    [m]    [m]    Serial Number    Part Number     [Mbps]  Rev     Compliance     Supported   Detected 
-------- ---------------- ------ ------ ---------------- ---------------- ------- ---- ---------------- ------------ ---------
g49      FS               0      0      S2001345774      SFP-GE-BX           1300      1000BX10                 Yes       1G

*************** show fiber-ports optics all ***************

Output   Input
Port    Physical Port/  Temp  Voltage  Current   Power    Power     TX     LOS  Fault
        Lane Number     [C]   [Volt]     [mA]    [dBm]    [dBm]     Fault       Status
------  --------------  ----  -------  -------   -------  -------   -----  ---  -------------
g49     g49-Lane1       47.4    3.270     17.7    -5.314  -40.000   No     Yes  Local Fault

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Coold discovery. Danke Christopher!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements