× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SNMP-OID for the MAC of the connected Device

robinchristes
Aspirant

SNMP-OID for the MAC of the connected Device

Hello Community,

i am working on a script, which is collecting data from the switches via SNMP.

My problem is, that i need to know the OID which can be used to find the MAC of a Client directly connected to a port of the switch.

May someone had the same problem and can help me 🙂

Kind regards,

Robin

Model: GS724Tv3|24 ports ProSafe Gigabit Smart switch,GS724Tv4|ProSafe 24 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
robinchristes
Aspirant

I've found the solution:

if the request returns iso.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.2.2.1.2.1.0.34.100.189.60.156 = INTEGER: 7, the integer-value represents the port of the MAC-address and the last 6 numbers of the OID represent the MAC-address in decimal format, in this example it means that the MAC-address connected to port 7 is 00:22:64:BD:3C:9C.

Thank you for your help 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @robinchristes,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I suggest you to use the NMS300 ProSAFE Network Management System to monitor the GS724Tv3 switch/es via SNMP.  You can download the latest version of NMS300 here.   

Also, kindly download the GS724Tv3 MIB file on this link as it might help you with the OID.  The link will expire within 2-3 days. 

Check the article below as well:

MIBs for Smart switches

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
robinchristes
Aspirant

Hi @DaneA,

I have to say, that I am not able to find the mac-address of the clients with the given documents. I have scanned all OIDs of the switch with snmpwalk, and i got some of the macs of connected clients, but not all (which are shown under the section switching-->address-table) although they are online.

For example, the client connected to port 7 is showed as iso.0.8802.1.1.2.1.4.1.1.5.18524162.7.7 = Hex-STRING: 00 22 64 BD XX XX, but the client connected to port 11 doesn't appear.

Is there probably another way to get the other addresses on an indirect way?

Regards,

Robin

Message 3 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@robinchristes,

I inquired your concern to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support.  As per the higher tier of NETGEAR Support, kindly use this SNMP’s OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.2. E.g: “snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 10.130.181.156 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.2”.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 10
robinchristes
Aspirant

@DaneA

I've tried this and it returns an bunch of Integer-Values like iso.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.2.2.1.2.1.0.0.203.97.24.145 = INTEGER: 52

but what do they mean and which direction is given to generate this OIDs?

Regards

Message 5 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@robinchristes,

Please be sure that the MAC address table that you are looking for via the SNMP’s OID is present into the Switch’s GUI.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 10
robinchristes
Aspirant

@DaneA

Unbenannt.PNG

yes, it is present, as can be seen here

Message 7 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@robinchristes,

Since the MAC Addresses is present on the web-GUI of the GS724Tv3 switch, what are these devices?  Are these devices connected directly to the GS724Tv3 switch?  What is the specific type of device wherein you are not able to locate via OID? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 10
robinchristes
Aspirant

@DaneA

the devices (mostly computers) are directly connected to the switch, for example in the image you can see the MAC of a Elitegroup Mainboard on g9

Message 9 of 10
robinchristes
Aspirant

I've found the solution:

if the request returns iso.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.2.2.1.2.1.0.34.100.189.60.156 = INTEGER: 7, the integer-value represents the port of the MAC-address and the last 6 numbers of the OID represent the MAC-address in decimal format, in this example it means that the MAC-address connected to port 7 is 00:22:64:BD:3C:9C.

Thank you for your help 🙂

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements