× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Simple VLAN between two Switches

Hokerberg
Aspirant

Simple VLAN between two Switches

I have two GS108T switches. I try to setup a new VLAN in addition to the default VLAN1. I want one port on the first switch to be a member of my new VLAN (called 10) communicating with a single port on the other switch. So One port on one switch isolated for VLAN10 traffic only going to another isolated port on the second switch. I have done the following;

1) Created a new VLAN with ID 10 on both switches

First switch configuration

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

VLAN ID 1          U   U   U   U   U   U   U

VLAN ID 10     U                           T

PVID          10   1   1   1   1   1   1   1

Second switch configuration

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

VLAN ID 1      U   U   U   U   U   U       U

VLAN ID 10                             U   T

PVID           1   1   1   1   1   1  10   1

With this configuration I try a very simple test scenario. I attach one computer to port 1 on the first Switch and another computer to port 7 on the second switch. I assign static IP addresses to the both computers in the same subnet. Then I try to send ping between the computers but without success. What have I done wrong? This is a very simple setup, but I must have forseen something. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks,

Bertil

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Hokerberg
Aspirant

Re: Simple VLAN between two Switches

Thanks for reply. I have found the problem. It's kind of embarrasing. I had the trunk cable in the wrong port on one of the switches. Now my VLAN works just fine.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Hokerberg,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

It seems you have configured the 2 switches correctly.  Let us isolate the problem.  On Switch 1, set ports 1 and 7 as members of  VLAN 10 and set it as untagged ports with PVID=10.  Connect PC1 on port 1 and connect PC2 on port 7.  Set a static IP address on both PCs within the same IP range.  Then on PC1, ping the static IP address of PC2 and vice versa.  Are you able to get replies from each PC? 

Do the same procedure on Switch 2. Let us know the results.

What is the current firmware version of both GS108T switches? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Hokerberg
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. I have found the problem. It's kind of embarrasing. I had the trunk cable in the wrong port on one of the switches. Now my VLAN works just fine.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Hokerberg,

You're welcome.  🙂  I'm glad you found out what caused the problem and now its working fine.

Now that your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements