× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Simple VLAN without VLAN-aware router and DHCP aka Port-based VLAN

flipfl0p
Aspirant

Simple VLAN without VLAN-aware router and DHCP aka Port-based VLAN

I did manage to get the tagged VLANs (802.1Q) working with DHCP, mutiple switches AND VLAN-aware router - the whole shebang. However, I tried to poke around with the simple setup with not vlan-aware router and no tagging and....it just didn't work 😮

My setup is following:

router<--port1-->switch<---port4-->PC

Vlan-config1.png

vlan1 contains all 8 ports untagged

Vlan-config2.png

vlan 10 contains port 1+4 untagged

Vlan-config3.png

port 4 PVID = vlan10

Vlan-config4.png

All the devices are on the same subnet.

Switch is a Netgear108Tv2 with the latest firmware (5.4.2.27)

1. DHCP isn't leasing me any IPs - I get APIPA

2. Even with static IP (incl. router as gateway), I cannot ping either the router itself or anything else....

What am I doing wrong here ?

I've read on various forums, that GS108Tv1 had port-based VLAN option which easily managed a setup like this, V2 is apparently only supporting 802.1Q-VLAN, which still should support untagged VLANs and a vlan-not-aware router, isn't it ?

I also found this post, where one of the users "somehow" as he puts it, managed to make it work:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Wired-Network-Adapters/Is-port-based-VLANs-using-GS108Tv2-still-pos...

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
flipfl0p
Aspirant

@DaneA

Thanx a lot for the time and effort. Looks like, I'm ending up as that guy I mentioned before, who got it working...somehow 😮

Actually, I tried all kinds of combinations and...eneded up with exactly the same setup I began with...and this time it was working! With DHCP and everyting!
So the approach the Asymmetric VLAN is very simple:

E.g. 

- define VLAN 10 + 20

- define the trunk/gateway - VLAN50 (or keep the default VLAN1)

- make ports 2+3 only members of VLAN10 and VLAN 20 respectively

- make all ports needing access to the outside network (extra switch of router) members of VLAN50

- set port 1 to PVID50

- set port 2+3 to PVID10 and PVID20 respectively

And the setup works as intended  - port 2+3 are online, but cannot talk to each other as they are on different VLANs.

Now, the biggest question still remains - Why the #¤%# didn't it work before ???!!!!!

A few reboots were made, yes, but otherwise, nothing else!

Additional question:

- What exactly are Tagged VLANs needed for then comparing the Untagged if the asymmetric VLANs support the network segmentation and DHCP ?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi flipfl0p,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As I understand your network setup, port 4 of the GS108Tv2 is directly connected to the PC and you want to get an IP address through VLAN 10.  Kindly try to set a static IP address on the PC that is within the IP range of the router.  Are you able to get replies when you ping the IP address of the router? 

If ever you are not able to get replies when you ping the IP address of the router, set the PVID of port 1 to 10 and check if you are now able to get replies when you ping the IP address of the router. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
flipfl0p
Aspirant

Hi DaneA, 

As I wrote in the first post, the PC connected to port 4 is already using a static IP and it's in the same subnet as the router, and I'm not able to ping anything. In fact, I'm not receiving a single byte back on the NIC as I monitor the status. 

All network devices now are configured using static IPs - PC, switch and the router behind it.

I now tried setting port 1 to PVID 10 - no effect, as before, I'm not getting as signel byte back on the NIC's interface Man Frustrated

Message 3 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@flipfl0p,

Kindly try the steps below:

1. On VLAN 1, all ports are set to untagged. 

2. On VLAN 10, port members would be ports 1 and 4.  Set port 1 as untagged with PVID of 1.  Then, set port 4 as untagged with PVID of 10. 

3. Create VLAN 100.  The port members would be ports 1, 4 and 8.

4. On VLAN 100, set port 1 as untagged with PVID of 1.  Then, set port 4 as untagged with PVID of 10. Then, set port 8 as untagged with PVID 100.

5. Connect the router on port 8. 

6. Check if the PC connected on port 4 that has a static IP address will be able to get replies when you ping the IP address of the router.  Also, check if it will acquire an IP address from the router. 

What we've tried to setup from the steps above is called Asymmetric VLAN.  

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 9
flipfl0p
Aspirant

Ok, tried all that, the short answert - no effect at all.

1-6 - check!

Static or DHCP-lease - not a single frame received on the NIC. 

Actually, after studying the document provided, the Assymetric VLAN was exactly what I dod from the beginning:

- created VLAN X for a client machine

- created VLAN Y for the "uplink"/trunk port

- assigned the client machine port to VLAN Y

- assigned the uplink port to VLAN X

- connected the router to the uplink port

I connected another client machine on port 5 in the same manner - assigned port5 to VLAN10. I did manage to have machines on port 4+5 to ping each other as they should as they were both on VLAN10. However, no connection to the gateway or anything else.....

I did all the steps a few times and kept the ping to the router on. I noticed, that while creating VLANS and assigning the respective ports to them, the ping was alive. But the connection was totally cut off as soon as I put port4 (client port) to PVID10. As I understand, all those untagged VLANs are actually able to talk to each other as long as they're on the same subnet, otherwise, inter-vlan routing is needed, right ?

Any other good ideas ?

P.S. I did a factory reset of the switch before trying those steps just to make sure it's "clean".

Message 5 of 9
flipfl0p
Aspirant

@DaneA

Thanx a lot for the time and effort. Looks like, I'm ending up as that guy I mentioned before, who got it working...somehow 😮

Actually, I tried all kinds of combinations and...eneded up with exactly the same setup I began with...and this time it was working! With DHCP and everyting!
So the approach the Asymmetric VLAN is very simple:

E.g. 

- define VLAN 10 + 20

- define the trunk/gateway - VLAN50 (or keep the default VLAN1)

- make ports 2+3 only members of VLAN10 and VLAN 20 respectively

- make all ports needing access to the outside network (extra switch of router) members of VLAN50

- set port 1 to PVID50

- set port 2+3 to PVID10 and PVID20 respectively

And the setup works as intended  - port 2+3 are online, but cannot talk to each other as they are on different VLANs.

Now, the biggest question still remains - Why the #¤%# didn't it work before ???!!!!!

A few reboots were made, yes, but otherwise, nothing else!

Additional question:

- What exactly are Tagged VLANs needed for then comparing the Untagged if the asymmetric VLANs support the network segmentation and DHCP ?

Message 6 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@flipfl0p,

I'm glad that its now working. 🙂   I have just read your feedback 14 hrs ago and I was wondering why it didn't work instantly.  

As you can observed, no tagging is involved and as far as I know, all VLANs should be in the same subnet in implementing asymmetric VLANs. 

On the other hand, the usual VLAN configuration wherein tagging is needed, you can have each VLAN on their own subnet.  You could also set inter-VLAN routing when needed as long as the switch supports the inter-VLAN routing feature or if not, you could use a VLAN-aware router that supports inter-VLAN routing.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 9
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi flipfl0p,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 8 of 9
flipfl0p
Aspirant

Anyway, thanx again for the effort. 
Although, the solution is - there's no solution if it's not working as described. My best advice to others would be - try setting up the simple setup first, try different routers, make a few reboots and factory defaults and make sure you follow the correct instructions - and hopefully it will work.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements