× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Smartwizard Discovery on machine with two IP's

voncorp
Aspirant

Smartwizard Discovery on machine with two IP's

Scenario:
Two isolated networks, with one Win Server 2012 VM that is connected to both.
There is no routing between the two networks.

6 Netgear switches, 5 of which SmartControl Center has worked almost flawlessly for from this VM. (would prefer to not have to restart to change adapters, but that's for another post.)

One older GS748T, that Smartwizard Discovery has worked for on several other machine. Currently works fine from a Win2008 Server, we are looking to retire in the next year or so. (It only is connected to one network, not both)

I wanted to consolidate the management to the Server 2012 VM, so I installed SWD to it, and it doesn't detect any Switches.

I ran SWD on the Win2008 box, and it still detects it just fine.

So I'm guessing that SWD is looking at the wrong adapter on the 2012 VM, but I cannot seem to find anywhere to tell SWD what adapter to look through, or any comments about this on the forums.

Anyone have any experience with this situation, and is there any way to tell Smartwizard Discovery which network adapter to use on a computer with multiple adapters?

Thank you for your help.
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
rjt
Tutor
Tutor

Re: Smartwizard Discovery on machine with two IP's

FYI, SmartControlCenter was unable to use any interface other than what is bound first in windows. No, changing the interface in SCC had absolutely no effect!:mad:

In order to have SmartControlCenter find the switches on network management vLAN.100, i had to make some windows system changes. Luckily, the effect is immediate and does not require a reboot.

\Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections\
--> Advanced

--> "Adapters and Bindings"

Move the management vLan interface up to the top.

--> "Provider Order"

Move "Symantec SNAC Network Provider" to bottom and disable Symantec.
Move RDP session host server down.
Move "Microsoft Windows Network" to top.

Only after doing this, SmartControlCenter found only the newest purchased switches, but not any of the 9 other switches with the latest firmware, some of which were just RMAd.

SmartWizard Discovery never ever ever found anything:(

SmartWizard Discovery was replaced by Smart Control Centre in the years 2010 to 2012. In general sw...

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
rjt
Tutor
Tutor

I can not get it to work on Win2012 and of course all our machines have multiple NICs.
Tried elevated.
Tried launching in WinXPsp3 compatibility mode.
SmartWizard has not been updated since 2004.

How about an update NetGear?
Message 2 of 3
rjt
Tutor
Tutor

FYI, SmartControlCenter was unable to use any interface other than what is bound first in windows. No, changing the interface in SCC had absolutely no effect!:mad:

In order to have SmartControlCenter find the switches on network management vLAN.100, i had to make some windows system changes. Luckily, the effect is immediate and does not require a reboot.

\Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections\
--> Advanced

--> "Adapters and Bindings"

Move the management vLan interface up to the top.

--> "Provider Order"

Move "Symantec SNAC Network Provider" to bottom and disable Symantec.
Move RDP session host server down.
Move "Microsoft Windows Network" to top.

Only after doing this, SmartControlCenter found only the newest purchased switches, but not any of the 9 other switches with the latest firmware, some of which were just RMAd.

SmartWizard Discovery never ever ever found anything:(

SmartWizard Discovery was replaced by Smart Control Centre in the years 2010 to 2012. In general sw...
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements