× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed drops

ncka
Aspirant

Speed drops

I have a Netgear JGS524Ev2 - 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch, which is hardwired into a Virgin Broadband router with a speed package of 500 mbps. 

The speed on network ports feeding off the switch drops to 10/100 Mbps after a few hours, this only seems to affect the BT Wholehome wifi WAP Discs. 

Whenever I restart the switch I get the full speed, however after a few hours the speed drops. 

Do you know what is causing the link speed negotiation?

Model: JGS524Ev2|ProSafe Plus 24 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Speed drops

As per the BT Whole Home Wi-Fi FAQs - Set-up and installation only the first disk is allowed to have a wired connection to the router, being direct, being through the switch. Any other disk is supposed to run wireless, where it can provide local Ethernet connectivity again.

In my understanding (being far away from the BT world) the other disks Ethernet ports are not intended to operate as a wired backhaul tied together to one physical Ethernet network.

Unclear to me why the PHY link speed (disk-switch) should re-negotiate away from Gigabit - however the above config could have an impact.

Message 2 of 4
ncka
Aspirant

@schumaku Thanks for your response. I did speak to the BT team and they said it is alright to connect the secondary discs to a port and thus functioning as individual WAPs. 

I'm not quite sure what is the course of action I should take as BT says the discs and the switch negotiate the link speed and nothing in the Discs regulates the speed.

Message 3 of 4
ncka
Aspirant

@schumaku further update, this is true for the model BT Premium WholeHome wifi and not my model WholeHome wifi

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements