× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stop communication between vlans

JCocivera
Aspirant

Stop communication between vlans

Hi there,

Recently started playing with vlans on my switch and figured out how to set up vlans and getting internet access on them. 

My next step in learning about vlans is to not allow communcation between them. 

Right now I have 2 vlans (The default vlan and vlan10 that I made) and in the default vlan I can access my servers and other computers on that vlan (which is what I want). On vlan10 you cannot access servers by directly connecting to them with their name however, if I type in the IP address of the server or computer I am able to communicate with the device. Is there a way to stop this? 

Thanks for any help,

Joey 

Model: GS748Tv5|ProSAFE 48-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JCocivera
Aspirant

Re: Stop communication between vlans

The problem ended up being on my firewall/router. I had to deny access between vlans in my LAN zone. 

For anyone with a Dell Sonicwall you can do this by:

Go to Firewall > Access Rules > Go to the last rule in LAN > LAN and change Action from Allow to Deny. 

Thanks for your help JohnCarloV. Figured out that my switch was not to blame. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi JCocivera,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you were trying to separate your devices without any communication to each other. May I know if the VLANs that you created are working on the same subnet? May you be able to provide us some screenshots of your configuration so that we can further check?

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
JCocivera
Aspirant

John,

Indeed! 

They are on the same subnet. What kind of screenshots would you need? I've attached everything I can think of to screenshot. 

IP of the default vlan is 10.0.0.1. 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@JCocivera,

As per checking the screenshot, you have enabled VLAN routing, you don't need to enable it unless you wanted the VLANs to communicate with each other. Also, do you have a VLAN capable router? It seems that the other ports were assigned as T or Tagged. If you have a VLAN capable router, then the IP address of VLAN 10 should be different. You just need to create a DHCP server for your VLAN 10.

If you want to assign a port to be a member of VLAN 10, the PVID should also be included. If the device is a VLAN aware(like VoIP, L2 Switches, Routers, etc.), you just need to put a T or Tagged on the specific port and leave the PVID to default. But if the device is just a non-VLAN aware(like PC, Scanners, Printers, Hub, etc.), then you just need to assign the port to U or Untagged and assign the PVID to its corresponding VLAN.

e.g.

VLAN router is connected to Port 1 of the switch

VLAN 10 - Port 1 - T - PVID 1(default)

PC needs to be on VLAN 10 - port 30

VLAN 10 - Port 30 - U - PVID 10

PC will be receiving an IP from VLAN 10.

If you have questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Message 4 of 7
JCocivera
Aspirant

John,

I've disabled vlan routing (I thought I needed it for the vlan to work... oops!) however, I can still access my servers via IP (servers on vlan1 and computer on vlan10).

I do have a vlan capable router and the IP address of vlan10 is different (10.0.10.1 instead of 10.0.0.1) and I have also created a DHCP server for vlan10.

I have also set up my PVID settings like you have mentioned.

Any other ideas or maybe am I misunderstanding what you are saying? 

Thanks! 

Message 5 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@JCocivera,

It should work with the setup that I've given 🙂 Unless, you do have Inter-VLAN routing enabled on your router. You can test the setup that I've given by removing the router on your network and assign a static IP on both PC with different default gateway and check if it will ping. 

Regards,

Message 6 of 7
JCocivera
Aspirant

The problem ended up being on my firewall/router. I had to deny access between vlans in my LAN zone. 

For anyone with a Dell Sonicwall you can do this by:

Go to Firewall > Access Rules > Go to the last rule in LAN > LAN and change Action from Allow to Deny. 

Thanks for your help JohnCarloV. Figured out that my switch was not to blame. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements