× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Switch Discovery Tool doesnt find Netgear gs324tp

timmyhappymind
Aspirant

Switch Discovery Tool doesnt find Netgear gs324tp

Appreciate any help anybody can offer. I have a gs324tp attached to a new Meraki MX75 router provided to me this week by BT for a newly installed leased line. Problem is, they haven't set me up with access to the Meraki cloud portal so i can see the IP ranges etc being kicked out by the router which is operating as the DHCP server. I have the switch connected to the router and everything connected to the switch is working fine ....but i can't manage config on the switch because i'm unable to find it's IP address as i can't see connected devices on the router and the Switch Discovery Tool (running on Mac) does not find the switch. 

I dont have ready access to a Windows PC to run any windows utilities and wondering if anybody has any advice of things to try while i wait for BT to sort out my access to the router so i can actually see my network. Can't find any LAN scanners for MAC or anything like that and even when I am plugged directly into the switch via ethernet and have wifi off, i get an IP address fine via the switch but still discovery tool doesnt show it and a trace route in Terminal doesnt show the intermittent switch IP. 

Thanks for any pointers.

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

When connecting any system (MacOS is fine of course) direct to the switch, does it get an IP address assigned? Talking of an Ethernet connection of course... Can't imagine why the Mac should not discover the switch LAN IP address, even if it is the default.

The ability to discover isn't confirming you can connect to the switch management IP address - the default subnet (192.168.0.239/24) might be very different from what the Mac (most likely ZeroConf) does.

If the switch can be discovered, it might show with the default LAN IP address - not much you can do with it in this state however.

Message 2 of 6
timmyhappymind
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. With wifi off on my Macbook, and plugging an ethernet cable into the switch and into my Macbook I get an IP address for the Macbook, yes, and am able to browse the internet. The switch discovery tool still doesnt work though to provide me with the switch IP address! Traceroute doesnt show the switch either, just the IP address of the MX75 router - so the switch IP address is still not configurable and i need to set up LAG on some of the ports for the WAP's that have link aggregation capability.

For anybody in the UK, I got my leased line from BTNet only to discover that you get read-only access to the Meraki router AND wireless access point and can't do ANY config yourself, you have to go through their helpdesk to do anything at all, even assigning IP ranges on your LAN, assigning fixed IP addresses to any devices etc. And right now my other issue is that they havent yet provided me with details of how I can get even the read only access so i can SEE the LAN which is causing me this issue and putting me on here trying to find a solution for discovering the switch IP address without being able to see it from the router admin pages.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@timmyhappymind wrote:

With wifi off on my Macbook, and plugging an ethernet cable into the switch and into my Macbook I get an IP address for the Macbook, yes, and am able to browse the internet. The switch discovery tool still doesnt work though to provide me with the switch IP address!

Strange. Some security prohibiting accessing the physical LAN on MacOS (god knows why), or the rare situation of a broken switch.

Admit, I'm not a MacOS geek, and have recently spotted one or two similar reports in the community where users claimed being unable to discover the switch on the LAN. The Switch Discovery works for me on all platforms supported, Windows, Fedora/Linux, including older MacOS systems

@timmyhappymind wrote:

Traceroute doesnt show the switch either, just the IP address of the MX75 router - so the switch IP address is still not configurable and i need to set up LAG on some of the ports for the WAP's that have link aggregation capability.

Perfectly normal - this is a pure L2 switch not a router, so it will -never- show in a tracroute.

@timmyhappymind wrote:

For anybody in the UK, I got my leased line from BTNet ..

Reads like an interesting service   lots of work for BT for what is intended for business customers.

@timmyhappymind wrote:

And right now my other issue is that they havent yet provided me with details of how I can get even the read only access so i can SEE the LAN which is causing me this issue and putting me on here trying to find a solution for discovering the switch IP address without being able to see it from the router admin pages.

Something on your LAN is likely assigning IP addresses by DHCP, or the Mac does use a self-configured ZercoConf address and the MX75 is able to cope with. 

Open the MacOS Terminal, and type ipconfig<enter>, to find the IP address assigned, the subnet mask, ... like 

Kurt-MBP:~ ks $ ipconfig

What I would do (or try) on a brand new Meraki installation? https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Organizations_and_Networks/Creating_and_Dele... ... Create a Dashboard Network ... Create a Network ... Network Type: Combined Hardware ... and select the device(s) listed on the Inventory  - no rocket science, very similar on many other cloud managed infrastructures.

Message 4 of 6
ErwinL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi@timmyhappymind,

Have you tried checking some tutorials from YouTube? There are plenty of ways actually that you can find on how to scan your local network. Below are just some of the examples you can try: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiTk_qY2ACM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Tj-4h1PRo 

Have a lovely day,

Erwin

Netgear Team

Message 5 of 6
ErwinL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello@timmyhappymind

Did I answer your question? In this case could you give us feedback on the situation and accept my post as a solution to make it more visible to other users?

Thanks in advance!

Have lovely day,
Erwin
Netgear Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements