× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch Log Capped at 128 Messages

WyattAkins
Aspirant

Switch Log Capped at 128 Messages

Our XS748T switch is limiting the buffered logs to 128 messages. This means that is something is spamming the switch causing repeated logs, we only can see a very brief history. We can't see when the event started and it's washing out all other messages.

How can I increase the message limit to show a much longer history?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Switch Log Capped at 128 Messages

@WyattAkins,

As per page 327 of the XS748T user manual here, it says that for the Buffered Logs: 
"The Total Number of Messages field displays the number of messages the system logged in memory. The 128 most recent entries are displayed on the page."

It means that the log messages are NOT capped.  It is clear that only the 128 most recent entries are just displayed.  

This is by design and NOT a limitation.  It would be best that you setup a syslog server.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The answer to this question is always the same for any device with a limited buffer log space: No matter if we talk about routers, access points, NAS, switches, ...  Set-up one or multiple syslog server(s), configure the devices to push the logs to that (or these) syslog server, configure the device server log accordingly. decent NAS offer almost plug-click-and-play syslog services for example..

Message 2 of 6
WyattAkins
Aspirant

To make sure I understand this correctly. The Netgear switch itself is incapable of recording more than 128 events and this cannot be changed. The other Netgear switches we have that record events into the thousands can do this because they were built with a larger memory.

We will need to implement a 3rd party solution to look at a reasonable amount of log information because the device itself is not capable of maintaining more than 128 entries.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@WyattAkins wrote:

The Netgear switch itself is incapable of recording more than 128 events and this cannot be changed.

No word of all that in my reply.

@WyattAkins wrote:

To make sure I understand this correctly. The Netgear switch itself is incapable of recording more than 128 events and this cannot be changed.

No word of all that in my reply. I'm just yet another Netgear customer and active user, don't write product specs, or change design numbers of existing products.

@WyattAkins wrote:

The other Netgear switches we have that record events into the thousands can do this because they were built with a larger memory.

Later spec'ed switches GS7xxPxx are built on 128 MB DRAM and allow 200 volatile log entries, while the XS7xxT are built on 512 MB DRAM, and 128 volatile log entries. Older GS7xxt indeed offer some 2000+ entries why ever on 128 MB DRAM. There must be other reasons, too. 

@WyattAkins wrote:

The other Netgear switches we have that record events into the thousands can do this because they were built with a larger memory.

Fake news?

@WyattAkins wrote:

We will need to implement a 3rd party solution to look at a reasonable amount of log information because the device itself is not capable of maintaining more than 128 entries.

It's not about the 128 - much more it's about the operational and audit requirements. This is why network operators tend to collect as much data as possible, e.g. to syslog servers or services. Does not matter of we have 37, 128, or 2037, or ...

Message 4 of 6
WyattAkins
Aspirant

Our XS748T caps at 128 log events. Other switches like our GS752TPv2 are not nearly as limited. I would just like to know if this is a hard restriction or a configuration.

WyattAkins_2-1664813339470.png

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@WyattAkins,

As per page 327 of the XS748T user manual here, it says that for the Buffered Logs: 
"The Total Number of Messages field displays the number of messages the system logged in memory. The 128 most recent entries are displayed on the page."

It means that the log messages are NOT capped.  It is clear that only the 128 most recent entries are just displayed.  

This is by design and NOT a limitation.  It would be best that you setup a syslog server.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements