× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch enters 802.3af rather than 802.3at mode after restart and fails PoE ports...

bartprokop
Aspirant

Switch enters 802.3af rather than 802.3at mode after restart and fails PoE ports...

Hi, I own GS105PE that I've mounted in attics (where there is no power outlet). The purpose was to power a WiFI AP and also have three usable Ethernet Ports to wire nearby computers. It worked as expected till I recycled power....

It seems that i need to reset switch to defaults (by keeping reset button depressed for few seconds), so it gets its PoE PD port to recognize 802.3at (i.e. lits green). Any power cycling renders PoE PD fifth port to 802.3af (i.e. LED lits orange). When powered by "downgraded 802.3af", it refuses to power up Access Point (the single PoE device connected to port #1).

Could you please advise why does your switch behave that way and what is the way to fix it? It is powered by LinkSys LGS308P 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Smart Switch. And I can see that GS105PE after restart negotiates 802.3af not 802.3at. The firmware is the latest V1.6.0.6.

Let me say that GS105PE is simply non-usable with above predicament for me at all....

This thread claims that similar issue "is resolved":

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-and-Smart-Pro-Managed/GS105PE-PoE-Passtru-works-only-aft...

Model: GS105PE|ProSafe Plus 5 ports switch with PoE pass through
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
bartprokop
Aspirant

Re: Switch enters 802.3af rather than 802.3at mode after restart and fails PoE ports...

Thanks @schumaku for advice to contact support, it ended with RMA

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Switch enters 802.3af rather than 802.3at mode after restart and fails PoE ports...

Not my switch if you don't mind. This is a user community - so it's your switch.

@bartprokop wrote:

Any power cycling renders PoE PD fifth port to 802.3af (i.e. LED lits orange). .

If the GS105PE does not properly negotiate 802.3at with your Linksys switch PSE on power-up, we face an interop issue of these two devices. As your switch is a new device, you should contact Netgear customer service via https://my.netgear.com/ for assistance. Provide them with the same detailed information (add the AP details for completeness) and include a link to this thread.

The reset button does just trigger a side effect.

@bartprokop wrote:

When powered by "downgraded 802.3af", it refuses to power up Access Point (the single PoE device connected to port #1).

This is perfectly correct: Because of your Access Point does request more power (802.3af Class 0 or Class 3) then what the switch is able to provide while powered by 802.3af - e.g. only one port can be powered for a Class 1 or Class 2 PD. If a PD does request Class 0 or Class 3 the PD won't get power and can't start. One of many design beauties in these POE industry standards.

FMI: GS105PE: PoE troubleshooting 

Message 2 of 4
bartprokop
Aspirant

Thanks, case ID 44726463 opened 😉

Message 3 of 4
bartprokop
Aspirant

Thanks @schumaku for advice to contact support, it ended with RMA

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements