× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch / router install

jkeefauver
Tutor

Switch / router install

Okay gang, new to the forum - please be kind.

Am a developer / manager by trade  - not a network guy per se. Am helping my friends who own a large restaurant. Like many small businesses, their IT has been thrown together and patched for many years leaving them with a hodpodge of "stuff" and none of it really working well together. Enter this project...

So...they have about 6 PC's, 2 printers, couple of laptops and a tablet or two. They also have a complete restaurant system that is separate from this project but that's for another post. Basically, this is a peer-to-peer network with DSL internet coming into a modem and then to a wireless router (R6400) which is handing out the IP addresses. It's also feeding 4 AP's out in the restaurant / banquet room and bar. The PC's and printers are either hardwired to the router or to a small hub hanging off the router.

Fast forward to today where I've built a rack with patch panel, shelving for other equipment and the modem and wifi router coming in from DSL. I also have a GS724T V3 switch I want to play traffic cop for all this stuff. The rack is in the main office with the GS724 and there is another small switch (GSS116E) for a small workgroup group in the next office.

Here's what I've done - please tell me what's wrong or what I need to do to make this work. Seems pretty straight forward but something isn't spelling C-A-T here.

1. Wire DSL modem to WIFI router (DHCP)

2. Wire WIFIk router to GS724T (Factory defaults)

3. Wire GS724T to GSS116E in next office (Factory defaults)

4. Plug PC into GS724T

- I get no connectivity to the GSS116E - cable tests fine

- I get no connectivity to the PC

If I plug those two devices into the wifi router instead, it works fine but when going thru the GS724T, it's stopping something from happening. I don't have any VLANS or anything setup now but that's my plan for the future but at this point I cannot even get the basic communication working. I am sure this is something I've done dumb on my end so please help me before you bust out laughing! I promise I'll take the abuse - just get me running someone! Thanks gang.

Model: GS724T|24-port Gigabit Smart Switch,GSS116E|ProSafe 16 ports gigabits Click switch,R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
jkeefauver
Tutor

Re: Switch / router install

SOLVED: One of the routers (used as AP's) in the restaurant still had its DHCP turned on and was goofing things up. Unhooked it and everything came alive. Now I just have to beat that into submission and I should be on my way - that is until I go to setup the VLANS at which point I am betting I'll need help from this gang again. Thanks all.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
RussU
Aspirant

If there is no config on the switches then it should just work. I'm guessing the GS724Tv3 isn't new, given the v4 has been out for some time now, might be worth a factory reset (pin hole in the front) to make sure there's nothing on it that could get in the way.
Message 2 of 3
jkeefauver
Tutor

SOLVED: One of the routers (used as AP's) in the restaurant still had its DHCP turned on and was goofing things up. Unhooked it and everything came alive. Now I just have to beat that into submission and I should be on my way - that is until I go to setup the VLANS at which point I am betting I'll need help from this gang again. Thanks all.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements