× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switches in Series, Newwork Setup GS108T

chodson28
Aspirant

Switches in Series, Newwork Setup GS108T

I have purchased two GS108Tv3 with the goal of keeping the computer at the end of the chain the fastest. My previous setup was Modem on one end of house connected to a router on the other end of the house in bridge mode then another router connected in the shop in bridge mode. In the shop is my primary computer that I want to be the primary for internet speed. All connections from the modem to the shop computer are wired with CAT 6 no wireless connections. We currently have 100mbps of service. Router setup was before I knew mesh was available and works for our wireless needs.

I recently purchased two GS108Tv3 to be able to set the priority on to control speed of aux items. Now I have the CAT 6 wired from the Modem to the switch to the final switch then to the shop computer. Off of the each switch I have connected the router to the switch along with all items that were previously connected into the routers.

One router is a Linksys EA8500 router and the other a Linksys EA6350.

Few questions

When the switches are connected in series the last one says Standalone Mode and can not be accessed. Do I need a crossover cable instead of a standard cable? What is the best mode to be in this situation?

I have lost connectivity to several smart devices is there a easy way to get them back online without starting all over on adding them to the system?

Where can I find info on best way to configure this setup or improve it?

Thanks in Advacnce!

Model: GS108T|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Switches in Series, Newwork Setup GS108T

@chodson28,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

Now I have the CAT 6 wired from the Modem to the switch to the final switch then to the shop computer.

Is your modem a modem-only device or a modem-router combo?  If ever your modem is a modem-only device, the correct setup should be: modem--router--GS108Tv3.  

When the switches are connected in series the last one says Standalone Mode and can not be accessed. Do I need a crossover cable instead of a standard cable? What is the best mode to be in this situation?

All of the RJ-45 ports of the GS108Tv3 supports autosensing.  It senses whether the cable plugged-in is a straight-through or crossover cable. 

I have lost connectivity to several smart devices is there a easy way to get them back online without starting all over on adding them to the system?

Where can I find info on best way to configure this setup or improve it?

Proper network connection/configuration will surely help. Post a detailed diagram of your current network (not in words, should be a diagram) as well as post another diagram of the network setup you wanted to implement.  In this way, community members can easily picture it out how to help you and post their suggestions.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
chodson28
Aspirant

Re: Switches in Series, Newwork Setup GS108T

@DaneA 

Thanks for your reply much appreciated. I have attached my current network and my planned network. My modem is a Modem/Router combo unit with the routers setup in bridge mode. Let me know if there are any other details that you need. 

Thanks,

Cash Hodson 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements