× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unacceptable Frames received and switch is not forwarding frames to another port

hegde
Aspirant

Unacceptable Frames received and switch is not forwarding frames to another port

Hello All,

I am using Netgear XS708T 8 port 10GB switch( new firmware) and for that switch, I have connected one radar.( multiple in future) 

For port 1, radar is connected and in port 3 another PC is connected. What I want is, that I want to receive frames from radar in port 1 and they should be forwarded to port 3. But when I connected the radar, the switch is not learning its MAC address automatically, so I manually gave the MAC address of the switch. Port 1( where radar is connected) and port 3( where another pc is connected) are in the same VLAN. 

Frames are received in port 1 but not forwarded saying unsupported frame type. The issue is not visible in Wireshark. Also updated firmware.

MicrosoftTeams-image[1].pngMicrosoftTeams-image_(1)[1].png

Then I connected to the simple switch where I can connect only one radar, switch started to work how it should work.

But facing a problem with XS708T. I am going to attach the snapshot for reference.

1. Wireshark data

2. Netgear monitoring port data

3. Wireshark Data transmission

Please help me or guide me on how can make the switch to start working properly.

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
hegde
Aspirant

Re: Unacceptable Frames received and switch is not forwarding frames to another port

Hi,

Thank you very much for the details explanation.

It is really helpful.

Yes radar is inhouse developed with MAC address AA:BB:11:22:33:55

Now I need one more help. How can I solve this issue? how can I make the switch to start working( receiving in port 1 and forwarding at port 3).

Thanks in advance

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Unacceptable Frames received and switch is not forwarding frames to another port

Grüezi @hegde 

Potentially there is certain data in the frame (like a reserved MAC address, some bits recognized as multicast, something else in the header, ...) not generically switch-able and useable. A dumb switch might forward such frames silently, while a smarter device might refuse. What might work in a data acquisition point-to-point config cold be prohibited in a generic L2 network environment. this will lead to unacceptable frame types and non-forwardable packets.

99.9% not a switch issue - most likely an application design L2 issue working somewhere near or beyond the edges of the standards. This might also lead to the MAC issue mentioned. Is this radar processor some in-house development?

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 4
hegde
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you very much for the details explanation.

It is really helpful.

Yes radar is inhouse developed with MAC address AA:BB:11:22:33:55

Now I need one more help. How can I solve this issue? how can I make the switch to start working( receiving in port 1 and forwarding at port 3).

Thanks in advance

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

For a test, can you define the MAC address on the adapter yourself?

I'm under the assumption aa:bb:11 isn't a registered MAC OID for your devices. Play it simple, take your mobile phone, and connect it to your favorite WiFi using a random MAC (Apple names it "private WiFi address"). Slightly change it in the last bits. If it does generate a2:d7:bd:d1:7d:32, change it to a2:d7:bd:d1:7d:3for a unique MAC different from your mobile, and try this for your device. Does the switch handle the forwarding as expected now?

From wally brain, a little bit tired after long day, can't tell this minute you what might be the effective cause. 

Probably somebody from Netgear switch engineering can answer why these packets are not forwarded.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements