Re: VLAN Configuration

d_rick
Tutor

VLAN Configuration

Hi,

I am in the process of redoing my SOHO, and need to create 3 VLAN's on hte GS716t. I need to create the following:

VLAN 1 - mixed mode where i am going to be mixing 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.3.0 traffic (192.168.1 is not blocked from talking to 192.168.3)

VLAN 2 - dedicated to 192.168.2.0 traffic (192.168.1 is not blocked from talking to 192.168.2)

VLAN 3 - mixed mode where i am going to be mixing 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.3.0 traffic(192.168.1 is not blocked from talking to 192.168.3)

This will all be "managed" from my Meraki MX60 and i just need the GS716 to support the routing. The way Meraki explained it to me is as follows:

MX60 port 1 / VLAN 1&3===Port 1 on GS716 which needs to support VLAN1 & VLAN3

MX60 port 2 / VLAN 2===Port 2 on GS716 which will support VLAN 2 (only)

Looking at the GS716 console, i go to the switching tab, then select the VLAN sub tab, and click on the basic view. This shows me that there are three VLAN's already?

VLAN 1 - default

VLAN 2 - voice

VLAN 3 - Auto-video

I then switch to advanced view / VLAN membership and it shows all 16 ports are set up to untagged.

So am i correct that my sequence of operations is as follows:

1. reset VLAN configuration to delete the existing ones

2. create the 3 VLAN's i want mentioned above

3. somehow get the advanced tab to assign the VLAN's appropriately

Model NameBoot VersionSoftware Version
GS716Tv2B5.1.1.15.4.2.25
Model: GS716Tv2|16-port ProSAFE Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 22
d_rick
Tutor

So i just spent an hour on the phone with Meraki, and they claim that the Netgear cannot be set up as needed to do this? Problems as follows:

1. There doesn't appear to be a way to edit / delete the three primary VLAN's so they align to the MX60?

2.  On the GS716, the port connecting to the MX needs to be:

- Trunk NATIVE VLAN 1, allow VLAN 1 and 3

3. The GS716 port connecting to the R7000 needs to be:

- Access VLAN 3

Message 2 of 22
d_rick
Tutor

Just watched a YouTube video that i think explains how to do the trunk.

I created three new VLAN's on the GS716 4, 5, 6. I will be using port 2 on the GS716t to test this (currently VLAN 1 (changing to 4) is on port 1).

VLAN 4 - will be used for internal network

VLAN 5 - will be used for security system 

VLAN 6 - will be used for guest access

i then went into VLAN membership and selected VLAN ID 4, and changed port 2 to tagged, leaving all other ports / lags blank

i then went into VLAN membership and selected VLAN ID 6, and changed port 2 to tagged, leaving all other ports / lags blank

Is this the correct way to create a VLAN trunk?

Message 3 of 22
d_rick
Tutor

that didn't work either. the meraki is still handing out 192.168.1.x IP addresses, so none of the segmentation or filtering is working.

aaargghh

Message 4 of 22
Carl_z
NETGEAR Expert

Hi d_rick

Welcome to Netgear Community!

The steps is the correct way to create a VLAN trunk.

For more details ,you can refer to http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29997. Hope it helps!

Regards

Carl

Netgear Employee

Message 5 of 22
d_rick
Tutor

@Carl_z wrote:

Hi d_rick

For more details ,you can refer to http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29997. Hope it helps!

Regards

Carl

Netgear Employee

Carl - can you confirm the following for me about the GS716v2?

1. Does it have the ability to have a single LAN port support two different VLAN's?

2. If so, and the steps above are correct that i laid out, it's not working. When i plug a client directly into port 3 on the Meraki, i get a .3 IP address and i'm not able to access the .1 or .2 segments, which is the correct behavior. When i plug into port 2 with the VLAN's configured as suggested, i get a .1 IP address and have full access to the .1 segment, which is the opposite of what i want.

3. What are the correct per port setting for VLAN's 1-3 independent of how we set up 4-6? All blank, all tagged, or all untagged?

4. What are the correct per port setting for VLAN's 4-6 independent of how we set up 1-3 for ports that are NOT going to partipate in VLAN's 4-6? All blank, all tagged, or all untagged?

5. What are the correct per port setting for VLAN's 4-6 for ports that ARE going to partipate in VLAN's 4-6? All blank, all tagged, or all untagged?

Thanks in advance for any input on this

D

Message 6 of 22
d_rick
Tutor

@d_rick wrote:

Just watched a YouTube video that i think explains how to do the trunk.

I created three new VLAN's on the GS716 4, 5, 6. I will be using port 2 on the GS716t to test this (currently VLAN 1 (changing to 4) is on port 1).

VLAN 4 - will be used for internal network

VLAN 5 - will be used for security system 

VLAN 6 - will be used for guest access

i then went into VLAN membership and selected VLAN ID 4, and changed port 2 to tagged, leaving all other ports / lags blank

i then went into VLAN membership and selected VLAN ID 6, and changed port 2 to tagged, leaving all other ports / lags blank

Is this the correct way to create a VLAN trunk?

One other thing i didn't mention before. Currently all ports on VLAN's 1-3 are flagged as U, not sure if that is correct or matters - but wanted to call it out.

Message 7 of 22
d_rick
Tutor

@Carl_z wrote:

Hi d_rick

Regards

Carl

Netgear Employee

Also, i have not made any changes to PVID as step 9 in the link above is not clear on which option i would choose.

Is it stating that in my use case i want .3 traffic to exit/egress port 2 and go to the R7000 that i would:

choose port g2

select PVID 6

select accetable frame types accept all

set ingress filtering to disable

leave port priority set to 0

Message 8 of 22
d_rick
Tutor

ok, last try on this - otherwise i will assume no help is coming from the forum. per the GS716 guide (GS716T_GS724T-SWA-October2012.pdf) on page 281 it somewhat confirms part of my assumptions that the PVID needs to be set as well.

So i've now renamed the VLAN's on the Meraki as follows to align with the GS716

VLAN 1 / MX port 1 now VLAN 4 port 1 (on Meraki not GS716)

VLAN 2 / MX port 2 now VLAN 5 port 2 (on Meraki not GS716)

VLAN 3 / MX port 3 now VLAN 6 port 2 (on Meraki not GS716)

MX port 1 => GS port 4

MX port 2 => PL adapter 1

MX port 3 => PL adapter 2

Then factory reset GS716

VLAN 1 - all ports currently set to untagged

VLAN 2 - all ports currently set to blank

VLAN 3 - all ports currently set to blank

Create VLAN's 4-6 on GS to align with Meraki

Model: GS716Tv2|16-port ProSAFE Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 9 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi d_rick,

Creating VLANs 4-6 is a good move because the default VLANs 1-3 on the GS716Tv2 cannot be edited.  It would be best that you post a screenshot or image (.img or .png file) of your detailed network setup that you want to implement.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 22
d_rick
Tutor

@DaneA wrote:

Hi d_rick,

Creating VLANs 4-6 is a good move because the default VLANs 1-3 on the GS716Tv2 cannot be edited.  It would be best that you post a screenshot or image (.img or .png file) of your detailed network setup that you want to implement.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Dane,

Working with your tech support guys, it now appears i have another problem in that they are not sure if the GS108 i currently have supports VLAN's, and then once we determine that - they are further concerned that neither the R8000 or R7000 will be able to read the traffic (or need to).

I will put together a drawing and post later.

Model: GS108A|Gigabit Switches, GS716Tv2|16-port ProSAFE Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 11 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi d_rick,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Any updates? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 22
d_rick
Tutor

@DaneA wrote:

Hi d_rick,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Any updates? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

DaneA,

Thanks for checking back in. I spent a bunch of time on the phone with multiple support techs last week, and have it 90% of the way completed. My final challenge is getting two print servers which are hanging off a "dumb" GS105 set up. I ordered the "smart" version of the GS105, but had to return it as i need more than the 5 VLAN's it supports. I have another GS108 coming to match the one i just added. I expect once it's in and configured, i should be good.

As an aside, there is no way i would have ever figured this out on my own without TS help. The docs don't lend themselves to this type of "advanced" setup/

Message 13 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi d_rick,

Thanks for the updates.  Hope everything would be working fine once the GS108 has arrived and configured within your exisitng network.  Keep us posted and feel free to ask questions. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 22
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi d_rick,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

JohnRo
NETGEAR® Community Team
Message 15 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi d_rick,

I just want to follow-up on this again.  Did your GS108 switch arrived already?  Is everything working fine? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 16 of 22
d_rick
Tutor

@DaneA wrote:

Hi d_rick,

I just want to follow-up on this again.  Did your GS108 switch arrived already?  Is everything working fine? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Spent 2 hours OTP with your people again this AM Dane, still not working.

We are currently stuck with not being able to integrate the 2nd GS108 into the network and add it the correct management VLAN. Every time we do that, we lose all connectivity. This behavior is inconistent with what we saw on the 1st GS108

Message 17 of 22
d_rick
Tutor

@d_rick wrote:

@DaneA wrote:

Hi d_rick,

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Spent 2 hours OTP with your people again this AM Dane, still not working.

We are currently stuck with not being able to integrate the 2nd GS108 into the network and add it the correct management VLAN. Every time we do that, we lose all connectivity. This behavior is inconistent with what we saw on the 1st GS108

Make that 4.5 hours now between you and Meraki.

Current problem - Win10 Pro x64 when set to to static IP will either route internally on VLAN 4 / 192.168.1.0 OR provide internet traffic, but not both. When set to DHCP, it does both.

This problem is limited to the GS108. On the GS716, i have a Win2K12 server with static IP that performs as expected. So this appears to be an issue between the GS108 & W10.

Your techs are stumped, and are going to escalate to T3 / engineering.

Message 18 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@d_rick,

Thanks for the updates.  Keep us posted about the feedback from the engineering team regarding your online case with NETGEAR Support.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 19 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@d_rick,

I believe the online case you have with NETGEAR Support is already closed.  Kindly share here in the community on how your concern was resolved.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 20 of 22
d_rick
Tutor

@DaneA wrote:

@d_rick,

I believe the online case you have with NETGEAR Support is already closed.  Kindly share here in the community on how your concern was resolved.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Dane,

Honest answer is they don't know.

They changed one port from T to U, but it didn't make a noticeable difference. Aside from that, i bounced all three switches and that was all that changed.

It didn't work one day, and with all settings the same it worked the next.

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 21 of 22
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@d_rick,

Thanks for sharing.  I am glad to know that it suddenly worked. 🙂 

Since it is now working, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements