× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN across two switches

NZRob
Initiate

VLAN across two switches

We've got an interesting issue trying to get VLAN traffic to pass between a couple of our switches. At a high level, our topology is as follows;TopologyTopology

The issue is that we are not getting DHCP addresses from the VLAN 1620 pool when connecting to an untagged port on the second switch. Connecting to an untagged VLAN1620 port on the first switch does result in a DHCP lease being granted. I'm certain it's something obvious I'm missing but i'm out of ideas as to where to look to figure out why things are not getting passed. I've attached the port PVID configurations below as that seems to be a thing respondants to these questions reguarly ask for.

GS728TPPv2: Boot v1.0.0.5, Software v6.0.5.2SW1_PVID.PNG

GS728TPv2: Boot v1.0.0.5, Software v6.0.4.8SW2_PVID.PNG

Hope this is enough info for someone to facepalm and point out my obvious mistake...

Model: GS728TPPv2|24-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W), GS728TPv2|24-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (190W)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: VLAN across two switches

For a trunk-connection (carrying multiple VLAN), as usual both ends must be configured the same. Either use all VLANs tagged (the "ideal" solution unless there are other [VLAN-transparent] L2 devices in the data path), or keep one [the basic] VLAN untagged, and have the PVID set to the VLAN ID of that very same VLAN ID.

For access ports, only use one VLAN ID [U]ntagged, the PVID set to the same VLAN ID. Remove any other VLAN memberhips - [ ].

VLAN_Confusion_ano.PNG

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

For a trunk-connection (carrying multiple VLAN), as usual both ends must be configured the same. Either use all VLANs tagged (the "ideal" solution unless there are other [VLAN-transparent] L2 devices in the data path), or keep one [the basic] VLAN untagged, and have the PVID set to the VLAN ID of that very same VLAN ID.

For access ports, only use one VLAN ID [U]ntagged, the PVID set to the same VLAN ID. Remove any other VLAN memberhips - [ ].

VLAN_Confusion_ano.PNG

Message 2 of 3
NZRob
Initiate

This appears to be the solution. The PVID was where I think we'd come unstuck. For posterity, and for the edification of future users with a similar issue, this is now what has produced a working solution.Overview.png

The bottom switch (of the topology above) is configured per these screenshotsSW2.png

SW2_PVID.png

The top switch is configured thusly;SW3.png

I hope this helps, and thanks @schumaku for getting us back on the right track.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements